Switching to Kelsey Hayes setup

-
looks good. your doing a nice job! what brand of paint are you using? rattle can or spray gun?

Passenger side is all bolted up. The only issue that I am having is the brake line that runs from the caliper to the metal braket/rubber hose. There is nearly no extra room for a longer line and I cant find the correct length of line yet. Does anyone else prebent lines?

fyi I am using Black Krylon Semi-Flat spray paint. Red caliper paint as well.

Pics

Attachments

• rotor2.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 342
  • rotor3.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 343
  • rotor4.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 312
  • rotor5.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 326
  • master2.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 341
Is the distribution block the same exact part for the 4 wheel drum and front KH disc setup? I have the block that came with the brakes but I am wondering if i can just use the existing one thats on the car. Also should I change the rear wheel cylinder in order to prevent rear wheel lock-up?

Ah ok. I ended up putting the disc block in cuz there was a noticeable difference between that one and the existing. I also am going to borrow a flare tool and make the last brake line. Then it's pretty much ready. My rotors came from rockauto.

Looking good! I hope you replaced the strut bushings too while you had it all apart.

I am going to get all new struts soon so I didn't mess with the bushings this time. I got it all finished today after work and took it out for a drive. Feels great. It was raining so I didn't get on the brakes to much but so far they work awesome. Good investment I feel.

Final pics before I bolted the drivers side wheel on.

Cant wait to drive this thing later on today.

Attachments

• rotor 7.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 271
  • rotor 8.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 255
looks really nice Kyle , im glad they worked out for you.

That looks great. I am taking for granted those are steel pistons? A lot of the originals were phenolic. They were bad about locking up in the caliper bores.

That looks great. I am taking for granted those are steel pistons? A lot of the originals were phenolic. They were bad about locking up in the caliper bores.

I ordered the calipers with the SS pistons...to at least put off the stuck piston issue....Ill flush the system every few years too..

Things work great though....big step up from before

I got it all finished today after work and took it out for a drive. Feels great. It was raining so I didn't get on the brakes to much but so far they work awesome. Good investment I feel.

I'm doing a Kelsey Hayes disc conversion on my 65 Dart. Currently it has 10" drums, the single circuit master cylinder and no vacuum assist. The pedal effort is too much for my taste. I'm trying to decide whether to use the vacuum booster from the 1972 or leave them manual.
Prior to your converstion did you have a dual circuit master cylinder already?

Did you see any reduction in pedal effort after your conversion?

If you use a large-bore manual master cylinder, the effort needed isn't too bad. I have the small-bore one because I like to make life difficult for myself.

If you use a large-bore manual master cylinder, the effort needed isn't too bad. I have the small-bore one because I like to make life difficult for myself.

I think it's the other way around. Small bore gives you less pedal effort, but more travel. The larger the bore the harder you have to push.

I ordered a 15/16" master cylinder from a 73 Duster. I'm going to try it without the Vacuum booster and see what it's like.

-
Back