t5 trans swap?

-

gmachinedart1

Reaction score
Im seriously considering performing a t5 swap into my 360 dart for street and occasional road race track day use.Can anyone direct me to a post containing info on this subject or someone who has performed/documented this swap.

thanx,justin

I have one in my Valiant, I got it out of a 91 s10, my trans was a four cylinder trans, but I have it behind a 273, I also am running 3.91 gears, so it is nice. If I was to do it over again, I would use a 6 banger, as I think it has better ratios. It was almost a bolt in deal, drilled a hole in the trans mount and the chevy mount fit right in, I used a bell housing for chevy trans to small block dodge, the same I use in my circle track car, that is where I got the idea. The Hydraulic master out of the chevy s10 was almost a bolt in deal too, I had to drill a hole wher ethe old clutch rod went through the floor for it to mount and I had to cut the s10 lines steel end off and tig weld an -AN fitting to it to allow me to use the hydraulic throw out bearing that Howe makes. I used -AN 4 steel braided lines to connect it. The chev master has metric threads, that is why I had to do it, no adaptor for the AN to metric, made my own. Works sweet. I used a dodge flywheel and pressure plate, and got a chev input disc from advance adaptors, the chev 4 cylinder has an odd input spline, and it is maybe 9 inches, I needed 10.5 as we all know for a Dodge. I thibk the v6 trans has the normal spline, so a 10.5 disc is a little easier to come by. I used a bushing from a chev, and i lathed down a chunk of steel to adapt it to the crank of the 273, where the hub fits on a t convertor, kinda like the magnum style.
I then cut the driveshaft down and tig welded a dodge yoke on the axle end and I was done. I used magnum heads on my motor and I used the magnum exhaust manifolds, they are rear dump, since I have no z bar or linkage, I was able to use the rear dump nicely. I have a few thousand miles on it now, and many 130 some mile an hour runs on it down the highway, I cruise at 2 grand at 65, nice. The gear spacing is kinda close with a 5 speed, so I can really skip gears, the car doesnt weigh crap.
Oh it is in a 4 door valiant I made a 2 door too, frame connects, minitub, spring relocate, and tubular uppers, 4 wheel disc brake, I never missed a thing, I modified it all, LOL

Valiant002.jpg

did you have to modify the transmission hump or floor pan to fit the T-5? do you have a picture of the inside of the car showing the shifter location?

The shifter comes out right in the middle of the trans hump/tunnel I was going to use one from a camaro, but the shfter is to far back, that is why I went with the S10 trans, the shifter is in the perfect spot.

CAGEMAN very intresting,,,can you tell us about the howe hyd throwout bearing???

It just goes over the input bearing retainer, and a bolt that has a long head holds it in place, pretty simple, and no z bar, or slave cylinder, all hidden. I wanted to use magnum manifolds, so this was my only choice, glad I did.
I just bought another howe bearing, I want to see if it will work on the 883 I have that is going into my coronet, hopefully it is here this week, Ill have to take a couple pictures, it is a really simple deal.

There's quite a few guys over at slant6.org that are running different types of T5s. They're using modified slant OD bellhousings IIRC.

cageman, sounds like a bearing from MCleod,,,what clutch /pressure plate are you using??
i have a tilton nascar style hyd bearing currently, but im gathering ifon on all hyd bearings to see which will work better when i switch over to a tremec tko...

please post pics when you get the new bearing,,,thanks

when you can please post a pic of that howe bearing,, please ,....let us know if it works on the 833 thanks

I have 2 4 cyl for d t5s,and 2 chevy v6? t5s i could use for this swap.But id like more info on what it takes to pull it off,like the part # for the bell housing i need,etc

yes if the bearing is hyd there wont be a slave cylinder,,most of the new cars today use a hyd bearing , just a bearing and a master cylinder,, if you go to jegs or summit racing and do a search you can see a pic of the bearing,and probably the same on howe web site,,

Im seriously considering performing a t5 swap into my 360 dart for street and occasional road race track day use.Can anyone direct me to a post containing info on this subject or someone who has performed/documented this swap.

thanx,justin

We build a bunch of t5s, some up to 600hp capability for NMRA cars in the 9.5 second range. There are a number of slave bearings, master cylinder kits and conversion bell housings to put one of these things in your A-body. Watch for non-world class S10 transmissions, marked by a mechanical speedometer output. They are a fine transmission, but much over 280ft-lbs will routinely turn them into a steaming bowl of parts soup. The later S10 t5s had world class gear sets that made them considerably more durable, but they will only run an electronic speedo. There are a bunch of different t5 models, some easier to use than others. We build a 400hp rated S10 t5 that I have in a big old 55 Chevy Wagon that is holding up with 430hp and A LOT OF CURB WEIGHT. Should be even better in the much lighter A-body. Hope this helps. Ask questions if you have 'em.

Thanx,Ive been out of the loop for a while.I did purchase a ford motorsport z-spec t-5,a quicktime sb mopar to tremec/t-5 bell,tilton 600 t/o brng,tilton 75 ser master,mcleod lightened steel flywheel,10.5 gm pplate , ford kevlar disc and a ford pilot brng.Project is not done yet ,but hope to complete by spring.trans is mounted in car.Need to do some final clearancing, make hyd. lines and need to purchase new driveshaft.
Install has been pretty straight foward so far.Had to cut top of tbar c/m and modify exhisting trans mount.I first took driveline angle measurements using a digital protractor with the vehicle on the drive on lift,so
i could maintain this angle at the end of the conversion.The floor shifter does come out in the center of the tunnel in a comfortable position using a pretty std 7-10" shifter handle.I have bucket seats,I dont know how it would work w/a bench.
I dont have any pics right now ,but can gather some up when I get back on it,hopefully soon.I can provide part#'s and some links if needed.
The one area that is somewhat questionable is the speedo cable situation.It seems as if where the speedo cable connects to the trans is directly inline w/the t/bar c/m and very close to it as well.I was thinking of running the speedo cable in the car under the carpet and drilling a hole through the side of the tunnel straight through the cross member and it would be a straight shot to the speedo connection on the trans.Speedo Solutions will make cables any length w/any ends .
Thats where I'm at,sorry i dont have any more info at this time.

justin

Watch for non-world class S10 transmissions, marked by a mechanical speedometer output. They are a fine transmission, but much over 280ft-lbs will routinely turn them into a steaming bowl of parts soup. The later S10 t5s had world class gear sets that made them considerably more durable, but they will only run an electronic speedo. Ask questions if you have 'em.
If you use the better trany with the electronic speedo how do you hook up a speedo? I'm interesed in this but plan on mainly street driving mine so a speedo will come in handy. I also would like to keep the stock look.

Thanx,Ive been out of the loop for a while.I did purchase a ford motorsport z-spec t-5,a quicktime sb mopar to tremec/t-5 bell,tilton 600 t/o brng,tilton 75 ser master,mcleod lightened steel flywheel,10.5 gm pplate , ford kevlar disc and a ford pilot brng.Project is not done yet ,but hope to complete by spring.trans is mounted in car.Need to do some final clearancing, make hyd. lines and need to purchase new driveshaft.
Install has been pretty straight foward so far.Had to cut top of tbar c/m and modify exhisting trans mount.I first took driveline angle measurements using a digital protractor with the vehicle on the drive on lift,so
i could maintain this angle at the end of the conversion.The floor shifter does come out in the center of the tunnel in a comfortable position using a pretty std 7-10" shifter handle.I have bucket seats,I dont know how it would work w/a bench.
I dont have any pics right now ,but can gather some up when I get back on it,hopefully soon.I can provide part#'s and some links if needed.
The one area that is somewhat questionable is the speedo cable situation.It seems as if where the speedo cable connects to the trans is directly inline w/the t/bar c/m and very close to it as well.I was thinking of running the speedo cable in the car under the carpet and drilling a hole through the side of the tunnel straight through the cross member and it would be a straight shot to the speedo connection on the trans.Speedo Solutions will make cables any length w/any ends .
Thats where I'm at,sorry i dont have any more info at this time.

justin

JUSTIN thanks for your input,, sounds like you have it under control,,keep us posted,, my TKO swap is on the back burner at the moment,,but i plan to do it as soon as a few other things are finished,,,keep us posted please,,

JUSTIN thanks for your input,, sounds like you have it under control,,keep us posted,, my TKO swap is on the back burner at the moment,,but i plan to do it as soon as a few other things are finished,,,keep us posted please,,

You got it

justin

this is a great thread....would love to learn more about this and see how it goes for some of you guys

where can i find more info on performing the swap? does anybody know?

try a company caled american power train,, a guy from there has posted omn this site,, seems to be very intrested in helping with this set up

ive done a little bit of research on the T5 itself, and it seems that im going to need to upgrade it a bit in order for it to handle the power of the 340 (even though my 340 is going to be very mild). I think the most clarification i need though is what is actually involved in performing the swap into the mopars so i will have to message american powertrain and gmachinedart and talk to them i guess

for a mild 340 have you ever considered a dakota 5 speed swap ??i seen it done recently on a small block mopar powered 1937 plymouth street rod,, very intresting conversion,,

-
Back