T56 magnum install 69 Cuda

-
Hey folks. We got the floor all buttoned up and things are going great. I'll get some pictures uploaded this afternoon. I Want a little bit of information.
All my cars are small blocks.
Other than the bellhousing bolt patern, are most of the other dimensions for the big block transmissions the same as the small blocks?? I know there are short and long tail shafts, but I believe that is due to the different body sizes (a,b,e).
SO... Are all 67 and up A-bodies transmissions the same, ie the mount location etc. I am just wanting to ensure that my parts will work with small and big block cars. Thank you for any help on this!! Todd

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 20120428TJ 006.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1,281
  • 20120428tj 010.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 1,315
  • 20120428tj 012.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,255
  • 20120428tj 013.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,297
  • 20120504tj 018.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 1,255
From back of the block to the center of the bolts on the t56 magnum mount is 26 3/4".

This is about it for now...

Attachments

• first mock up.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 1,261
im guessing ford uses that in a GT 500 ??? and what rear gear are you running?? i cant imagine getting in to 6th on my set up,,,33 inch tall rear tires,,,3.91 gears now,,,, great looking set up

fstfish66 said:
im guessing ford uses that in a GT 500 ??? and what rear gear are you running?? i cant imagine getting in to 6th on my set up,,,33 inch tall rear tires,,,3.91 gears now,,,, great looking set up

I think Ford uses the Tremec 6060 in the GT500...not really up on the differences between it and the T56...

I have the second bracket finished. I am planning on taking it to Columbus to the MOPAR NATS. I am trying to see if there is a big enough interest in this to warrant mass producing these, or maybe I will just make them as people order them. I will update this once I get back from the NATS. I hope there is interest.
FWIW. Our 1969 Cuda has 3.91 gears, and a fairly low profile tire. 2000 rpm at 70 MPH. WORKS GREAT!!!

Wow lot of work there, nice work, makes the a-500 swap look like a picnic!

I have a 4-speed F-body and a Viper T56. In the mounting bracket and floor pan department, the A and F bodies aren’t that much different. You kit would save me a LOT of headaches. Is it possible to elongate the transmission mount holes in the bracket to shift the tranny backwards or forwards slightly for a better fit?

Greg

What blowproof bellhousing did you use.....hyd or manual linkage.....are the headers and x pipe tti.....when you finished the sheet metal did the carpet fit it or was it to small.....thanks webby.

Is the shifter located about where the stock shifter would be located in a a-body 4 speed car.....which pistol grip did you use.....i was wondering about the use of a console.....the shifter looks like it is centered in the floor which would make it easier.....thanks eugene.

What would the price be for the installation kit.....are you hooked up to the original mechanical cable or to some type of electronics is it accurate.....thanks webby.

I have a 4-speed F-body and a Viper T56. In the mounting bracket and floor pan department, the A and F bodies aren’t that much different. You kit would save me a LOT of headaches. Is it possible to elongate the transmission mount holes in the bracket to shift the tranny backwards or forwards slightly for a better fit?

Greg

That is certainly possible. I am just no familiar enough about the location of the big part of the transmission, and whether there would be clearance issues. These parts fit pretty tight to the Ford spec T-56 Magnum transmission. Hope this helps. Thanks!! Todd

What blowproof bellhousing did you use.....hyd or manual linkage.....are the headers and x pipe tti.....when you finished the sheet metal did the carpet fit it or was it to small.....thanks webby.

We are using a QuickTime bellhousing. Hydraulic clutch.
The heads are W-5 heads, with TTI headers, and TTI x pipe and 3" exhaust.

We still have the OEM type carpet in the car. It fits and looks good. Hard to tell that the floor is different than stock. Thanks. Todd

-
Back