tach and oil psi gauge?

-

abodyjoe

Reaction score
whats a decent tach and oil psi gauge that looks like it could have been around in the 70's??

stewart warner makes some simple black n white gauges.
But they are not cheap.

In my humble opinion.....
Any of the classic style Stewart Warners, the redline Power series, the green lines, or the deluxe guages (the deluxe look like they could be from the fifties)
If you REALLY want a time warp tach..... a SW or Jones Motrola/moroso mechanical tach. You'd need a drive cable and a tach drive distributor.
I think a power series SW is probably a better choice. Burgundy, titanium orblue/gray stripes on the face.

SW fer chure man.

black w/ white face or the green lines if you got deluxe interior!

*the author of this post has SW gauges in several of his cars and is not sponsored by SW nor is this a paid endorsement

think i like the deluxe. clean and simple.us its mechanical thanks guys.

gotta find a tach now.

Screenshot_2024-08-23-22-29-08-70_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg

IMG_20240823_223221.jpg

IMG_20240823_223233.jpg

Google "retro style tachometers".
Equus and Speedway both have very simple, very plain white on black face tach, for well under a hundred bucks.
Several Sun SuperTach lookalikes too, for less than$70. (Real Sun's that work are CRAZY expensive)

Last edited:
VDO makes a large range of gauges & senders. My 59 Custom Royal had a slightly different dash board compared to it's US cousin. RHD drive car, the trans push buttons were in a little pod, in the dash, near the door. I installed an alum 727 with console shifter. No longer needing the p/buttons, I installed a neat little 2" VDO tach in their place. This was early 70s.

I'm running the Super Tach II that originally came in my Dart a long time ago. I had one in the 80's and it's like looking at an old friend.

1724493259950.jpeg

I forget the brand of tach, but here is a pic of SW gauges in a Duster I had.
I cannot stand gauges hanging below the dash.

100_2400.JPG

i may only put a tach in for temporary use. like to have an oil psi gauge in the car. i need it small and out of the way. Jamie doesn't want any gauges.

i may only put a tach in for temporary use. like to have an oil psi gauge in the car. i need it small and out of the way. Jamie doesn't want any gauges.
Autometer makes a very nice white-on-black 1 1/2" oil pressure gauge. Not cheap. Mechanical.
They also make even smaller triple guage setup, all electric. They don't look 70s however.
Have you thought about a 2 1/8" gauge pod for the A-pillar? You could get a 2 1/8 tach for there too.

no on the a- piller. jamie really doesn't want any gauges in it but i have her talked into atleast an oil psi. I'll probably tuck it as far under the dash as possible. tach probably wont stay in it after i get it tuned properly and all.

I remember on the first duster I owned, I remover the brake light/oil idiot light and added a small oil pressure gauge, that was in the dash.
Man that has been 30 years ago.

-
Back