Tachometer installation

-

Nemesea

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i’m trying to make my tachometer working but i’m not sure to properly understand the notice for the speed ratio adjustment. Does anybody of you understand the value to apply? (Dart v8 318)
Rpm signal is connect on the coil (-).

thanks!

A268007F-C8C8-475B-B3CA-628EDAEBD7EB.jpeg

7BC60640-3296-4986-92A7-E640F4395B27.jpeg

20E26B4C-338F-4E99-91E0-9E56502B2FF1.jpeg

The switch is for the number of cylinders in your engine. The tach needs to know how many spark plugs fires in a engine revolution to compute the RPM

I would set it to 4 (assuming you have a V8) and compare to another tach.

if the car is a manual you can do some math or find a calculator, (Spicer Engine RPM Calculator) plug in your tire size, rear gear ratio and go drive at a speed in top gear ( 3rd if 3 speed 4th if 4 speed, no overdrive) at a particular speed your tire/gear combination will force the engine to turn over at a particular RPM (like 2000 RPM to go 60 MPH) if the tach shows about that (a couple hundred up or down) you have the correct setting.

If the car is automatic trans there is some loss with the torque converter so the RPM would be a tad higher than for a manual.

I don't know how any of you guys can read that page...................

on a phone you can zoom a photo. Also I went to the OEMs website and poked around there!
I have a laptop. I downloaded and saved the photo, and then zoomed it. It became very blurry pretty fast. Like I said, don't know how you guys can read it. This bullshit disconnect between "smart devices" and real computers is more than annoying

Different tach and instructions are a bit different, same manufacturer.

upload_2021-4-24_10-42-55.png

-
Back