Tank Sludge.

-

willyj

Reaction score
My tank had some sludge in it. I have two filters inline one metal and one clear.

I let the car sit for a year (problems) and now I have two clogged filters and a nasty carb now. Those are easy enought to fix but what do I do about the tank?

where do I take it too get cleaned or is it something I can do myself? If do take it in anyone have a cost estimate?

Radiator shops will do it. If it is just sludge and not the crusty crap stuck to the inside, I would wash it out myself. Check your fuel lines too. I have seen that crap clog them up to where they barely even have a hole for the gas to get through. In that case get a new fuel line.

I plan to replace the rubber lines.

Can the steel tubing be blown out with compressed air and solvent ran through it?

What I did when I ran into this problem was to drop the tank, get a gas tank sealer kit and do it yourself. Kit has a metal wash which desolves all the fuel varnish. Next is something called OXISOLV which will etch the metal. Next comes the sealer. Worked great. I bought it at a swap meet, but Eastwood has the kit. Kinda steep @ $44.95 but cheaper then a new tank. :thumblef:
Mac

A suggestion for the end of this year is put some fuel stabilizer in your tank and run the engine for 10 minutes before shutting down for the winter.

What Demon Seed said...or move to a warmer climate where you can drive year-round...Wait...Your from Sparks Nv....you should be able to drive year-round.

Dead End Kid said:
What Demon Seed said...or move to a warmer climate where you can drive year-round...Wait...Your from Sparks Nv....you should be able to drive year-round.

Yeah. Normally do. Car pissed me off so I let it sit till I got the bugs worked out. Guages and some electrical stuff.

I got it back on the road and wanted to cruise it this summer since I got in a wreck on my motorcycle and cannot ride it for a bit (broke a leg).

Shame on me though for letting it sit even though it was a problem I had when I got the car. Ill fix it right this time and add the stabil if i plan to let it sit.

Its a summer sunday car for the most part.

Udpdate.

Pulled the tank. Man it is nasty. rusty on the inside. Will be taking it in soon.

a few questions.
How do i get the filler neck out to clean that up?

and

where can I get replacement seals and gaskets for the sending unit/lock ring and the seal from the filler neck to the tank? Are they still made by aftermarket parts? Year one seems a bit steep.

should I replace the fuel pump since its been sucking all that sludge throug it?

-
Back