TBI Fuel Injection on a Slant 6

-

JackDW

New to group old in years
Reaction score
One area that I am hoping to improve the driveability of my (actually my wife's) Duster is switching to fuel injection and electronic ignition. I like to just turn the key and go. Not have to mess with choke, etc. "Affordable Fuel Injection" systems has a self contained system for the 225. This system contains the ECM with custom chips as well as the distributer. Has anyone here used this system and can give feedback (good or bad). No so much interested in gas milage or horsepower as much as improved driveability. Thanks for any feed back.

I bought these units off ebay,but either didnt read the add good enough,or it wasnt posted,but anyhow,it is a 670 cfm,2 barrel unit.2 units,actually,minus 1 throttle body,and 1 temp sender.the projection is user adjustable,from the driver seat,if the mount the computer were you can get to it.I am asking $600.00 for bothe the units,and there are some extras that go with them(an upgraded fuel pump,mallory i believe,and i cant remeber what else.i forgot i had them until i read your post,thanks,toby

hly-502-20s.jpg

Over at slantsix.org, there are many guys over there who have injected slant sixes, using many methods. There seems to be a lot of tuning and tweaking to get to the point of "turn the key and go"

That looks like a pretty universal kit. I doubt "out of the box" it would be much of an improvement. The slants biggest problem is fuel distribution, TBI will not help that. If you are going to the trouble to inject it "port" is the way to go, however I know of no "kit" to do that.

TopHat

Thanks TOPHAT. I went to the slantsix.org site and found a big discussion regarding Fuel Injection of this engine. Looks like I will be doing a little more research before I make that jump. I am finding there is a big MOPAR world out there. Thanks again for pointing me to that discussion. :salute:

a properly tuned and maintained carbed slant six should be almost dead-nuts reliable. an MSD module might help but if everything is set to the way it came from the factory it should be very dependable, i mean, they wouldn't have made millions of these motors if they had chronic reliability issues.
don't know what shape your car is in, but if its pretty original then i would suggest re-wiring if you feel you are comfortable tackling that type of project. i recently re-wired my 65 Chevy Van, it took about 6 evenings and a couple weekend days but it wasn't too hard. also i did it in the driveway. anyway, this is the BEST upgrade i have done to the car in terms of making it "turnkey", everything works good now, bright lights, plenty of juice for accesories and it runs better. this is on a moderately built straight-six cyl, with dual carbs, dual exhaust, msd, etc. This motor has been dead-on dependable for almost 5 years now, about 40,000 on it and it starts up with the first turn of the key every time, even in sub-zero winter temps.

anway, what i'm saying is that instead of throwing money at fuel injection, why not also try to improve your driveability and reliability by looking at other areas of the car, which in the long run you will probably want to address at some time anyway.

are you currently having problems with the car? if so, of what nature? is it built, modified, or stock?

-tim

-
Back