TF 904 New Oil Pan Question

-

painsinner

Reaction score
Hello folks,
just got this new oil pan for my TF904, PartsNo. 52118779AD. It should be compatible (63 Valiant /6+TF904)?!
098.jpg

099.jpg

Any experiences with this part? My question is: Anybody knows how much additional qts fluid I have to ad?

make sure you get an extension to lower the pickup...

a 904 is a 904...so it will fit..

they even put the gasket part number on there for ya...lol

Thank you folks! Hmm I searched slantsix.org. /6DAN said that a 63 TF had no internal filter, so has mine only an outside line filter. And I have a replacemet for it. So I should built in an additional pan filter? Like described in http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31863 ? Or may I only change the stock pan with that one I got, without any modifications? If so, any idea how much additional fluid it will need, or should I just try by the dipstick? Sorry I am absolutely new to transmissions.

Thank you folks! Hmm I searched slantsix.org. /6DAN said that a 63 TF had no internal filter, so has mine only an outside line filter. And I have a replacemet for it. So I should built in an additional pan filter? Like described in http://www.slantsix.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31863 ? Or may I only change the stock pan with that one I got, without any modifications? If so, any idea how much additional fluid it will need, or should I just try by the dipstick? Sorry I am absolutely new to transmissions.

Dan is correct :thumleft:, I would say 4 to 5 quarts if the converter and pump is ready to fire up, I just did did a change on my old 1985 904.
I would recommend the rear end to be off the ground safely and put 3 in and fire it up and the the fluid run threw the pump and shut it down, Look at the dip stick then, It's easy to put it in and when its to full it must come out
Keep us updated

most of those deep pans add 2 qts. it should have come with a spacer to lower the pickup relative to the pan

It did not come with any spacer. Do you have a pic or a part-no. of this spacer-"thing"-pickup?

Dan is correct :thumleft:, I would say 4 to 5 quarts if the converter and pump is ready to fire up, I just did did a change on my old 1985 904.
I would recommend the rear end to be off the ground safely and put 3 in and fire it up and the the fluid run threw the pump and shut it down, Look at the dip stick then, It's easy to put it in and when its to full it must come out
Keep us updated

So the original poster knows, the fluid should be checked with the car warm, running,and in neutral.......:thumleft:

Pick up a manual to read the entire process.

Yes. Got a service manual. But was not sure about the "spacer". Till yet I havent opened the pan ;)

I just want to touch on a few bases here about the "Early" 904 that was used in your 63.
First you did the right thing looking at the the .org site as there is plenty of info there.
/6 Dan knows his stuff so read and go over the posts so you don't miss any thing.
Getting back to your 63, there is a mesh screen inside the pan where it picks up the fluid.Usually they are made out of brass and can be cleaned with brake clean or carb cleaner.
Your 63 904 has 2 pumps, a front and a rear so where the "screen" is you will see 2 holes(ports) that feed both pumps. The last year was 1965 for the 2 pumps.
Now you "can" replace this screen with the more common fiber type filter as long as it has 2 ports to pick up fluid for both pumps.They are still available at parts stores. I got mine at our local CarQuest.
You did say that you have the inline filter for yours so it will be up to you if you would want to change out the screen.
Your new pan will increase fluid by about 2 quarts.The spacer that is being talked about is to lower the pickup point of fluid in the deaper pan. It must have 2 ports to pick up fluid for both pumps.
I would call a Mopar specific transmission shop such as A&A or Cope Racing Transmissions for this spacer.(Google for their info)
In a nut shell you don't have to use the spacer and the transmission will work just fine with the fluid level at correct hight, you will just be gaining a few more quarts of fluid (more fluid,deep pan will help with cooling). For me,, I would install the spacer.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your 63,,,,I got one too !!

Thats the GOOD aluminum one.But for a single pump. I have drilled this type for the rear pump and machined it for a O-ring to seal against the valve body.Much better than the tin one. Thanks for the link !!

You do not need a spacer or extension. All you need to do is use enough transmission fluid to show "Full" on the dipstick (checked with the engine running, transmission shifted through all gear positions twice and left in Neutral). That will take more fluid than the shallow original pan took, but once you've added enough fluid to bring the level up to "Full", all you have to do is maintain it there -- which requires doing nothing at all as long as there are no leaks. The only reason for needing a spacer is if you are doing extremely aggressive racing that would tend to slosh all the fluid away from the filter at its normal location. The fix for that situation is to install a deep pan with an extension so the filter is always below fluid level even when it is sloshed. For any kind of street driving, the extension/spacer is not necessary because there's nowhere near enough slosh to uncover the filter.

You must use the correct 2-port filter as described at the linked article. If you do choose to install a spacer/extension even though you don't need one, it must be a 2-port item.

As usual it's great to see tranny info (or anything else) that applies to the '63's

Thanks to all posters !!!!!!! :cheers:

-
Back