The Death of Common Sense

-

Mark Wainwright

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:
- Knowing when to come in out of the rain;
- Why the early bird gets the worm;
- Life isn't always fair;
- And maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Ah yes. I used to wait 15 minutes of the 60 minute drive to work before attempting to consume coffee from that same supplier. :lol:

Mom said some people don't have enough (common) sense to get out a shower of chit!

Mom said it is better for people to think you are an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt!

Mom also said " Boy don't make me have to slap some (common) sense in you"!

There is book sense and then there is common sense!!??? lol

Back years ago,people were less fancy and had more common sense!???

If sense was truly common, as perceived to be in the old days, everybody would have their fair share and the political BS never would have reared it's ugly head and lived to tell about it.

This is going to go sideways real fast. Common sense killed by Google with the internet as an accomplice.

Mark Wainwright said:
Mom said "If you don't smarten up I'll knock you clear into next year". I wish I could take her up on that.
???
^^^
Mr Wainwright ???
Are You a gold member???

Cudos to Your Mother She?/He was a Gold Member ????

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

AWESOME POST

There was only ever so much common sense in the world.............

As the population explodes, it gets spread thinner and thinner.........

I said it all over this forum it was a customer of mine that said it first and I couldn't agree more...."common Sense is a superpower these days"...

This is going to go sideways real fast. Common sense killed by Google with the internet as an accomplice.

so true....I really don't know where to go for objective truth in the news media these days. All of it is crooked. Only objective truth I know is God's word, and still, so many try to twist it to suit their own view. SIGH!!!!

LOL sad but true and that’s what makes it funny

We have been regulated to death, people can't wipe their a## without instructions anymore, these forums are a classic example.
Virtually everyday there are question about the stupidest things, many case before they even turned a wrench.

Alan

Don't forget Gallagher and his routing that called out the label on some cleaner, I forget which, for getting rid of mildew... use in a well ventilated area..... if it were well ventilated..... ugh...

Common sense died quite awhile back.
Now we are watching stupidity grow up.

What if that person is just starting to learn? I can say for damn sure, NO ONE graduated high school and then started a career as a doctor, mechanic, carpenter etc. without going to med school, an IT school and so on. People ask questions that you may think are stupid, but there are also stupid answers.

What if that person is just starting to learn? I can say for damn sure, NO ONE graduated high school and then started a career as a doctor, mechanic, carpenter etc. without going to med school, an IT school and so on. People ask questions that you may think are stupid, but there are also stupid answers.
There is a difference, not this forum but someone asked how to remove a fender? Well start pulling bolts and figure it out? Really?

I didn't have someone to learn from, there was no internet, but somehow I tore down my car completely and got it back together years later.

Alan

You shouldn’t knock people for asking for help. I/you don’t know everything, and people who ask, wanting to learn, should be helped. It’s similar to....give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

The only “stupid” question is the one that wasn’t asked prior to making a mistake.

Two things I know for sure, 1 -I don’t know everything. 2 - Nobody else does either.
“Nobody” includes you........:)

You shouldn’t knock people for asking for help. I/you don’t know everything, and people who ask, wanting to learn, should be helped. It’s similar to....give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Ignorance is an entirely different thing than stupidity.

-
Back