The Dreaded Tranny Pan Leak

-
Did you degrease all threaded bolt holes then coat them with Aviation Sealer. Then degrease all bolts and threads then coat them with aviation sealer.

Then at pan assembly brush on more aviation sealer at the holes. Then install the bolts and evenly snug them down.

My friend's older RV with a 460/C6 automatic, the tranny pan was leaking badly. Enough to lose 2 quarts of fluid over time, making a mess of the floor where parked.

Decreased the pan and gasket perimeter with brake parts cleaner, blow dry with compressed air. A few times.

Mind you this is being done with the full load of trans fluid in the pan yet.

Now took out one bolt at a time, degreased with brake parts fluid, mopped it all up with aviation sealer, and reinstall the bolt. Then on to the next bolt one at a time.

All bolts back in and sealed, holes sealed, treads sealed. No more leaks what so ever.

Had clean red fluid in it so it saved the mess of full pan removal, and the cost of new fluid.

So as stated in the RV World, he is now a Happy Camper, no more leaks.

He can now park it in his driveway without making a mess of it.

No shock there. You used a generic gasket. You sprayed some crapola onto it. You didn't hit the holes up away from the trans. I think I might remember a time or two that a filter kit or rebuild kit came with a Duraprene gasket. It used to bother me to throw away brand new pan gaskets, but they're worthless on a tin pan if they're not Duraprene. The gasket will be either black or reddish brown and will have the word "Duraprene" stamped on it. Just my humble opinion..

Did you degrease all threaded bolt holes then coat them with Aviation Sealer. Then degrease all bolts and threads then coat them with aviation sealer.

Then at pan assembly brush on more aviation sealer at the holes. Then install the bolts and evenly snug them down.

My friend's older RV with a 460/C6 automatic, the tranny pan was leaking badly. Enough to lose 2 quarts of fluid over time, making a mess of the floor where parked.

Decreased the pan and gasket perimeter with brake parts cleaner, blow dry with compressed air. A few times.

Mind you this is being done with the full load of trans fluid in the pan yet.

Now took out one bolt at a time, degreased with brake parts fluid, mopped it all up with aviation sealer, and reinstall the bolt. Then on to the next bolt one at a time.

All bolts back in and sealed, holes sealed, treads sealed. No more leaks what so ever.

Had clean red fluid in it so it saved the mess of full pan removal, and the cost of new fluid.

So as stated in the RV World, he is now a Happy Camper, no more leaks.

He can now park it in his driveway without making a mess of it.

"Aviation sealer"
Do you have a link to the stuff you use?

Available at most auto parts stores.

Screenshot_20210413-124133_Chrome.jpg

20210413_124419.jpg

Just as important as the right sealer, is to get the sealing surfaces 100% oil free with fast drying Brake Parts Cleaner in the Red can.

Screenshot_20210413-124744_Chrome.jpg

Can clean up excess sealer off hands and tools with the brake parts cleaner on a wrag.

If a cork gasket isn't doing the trick, there has to be a problem with the mating surface's

SBM 727, Hughes 3000 stall, steel stamped plus 2 quart pan.
This will be the thrid pan gasket I have tried, I cant keep it from seeping between the pan and the gasket. First gasket was cork, second gasket is stiff rubber like with ridges in it, still leaks. All gaskets were installed clean and dry, no sealant used.
What trick am I missing here? Sealant?
See my new thread
" I fixed the dreaded tranny pan leak"

-
Back