The "El GTO"

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I met a gentleman yesterday who is a retired automotive restorer. We got to chatting and I asked about some of his cars, and one of them he calls his "El GTO." It's an El Camino with a GTO front clip. We've all seen cars with mis-matched parts as custom jobs, and personally, I think most of them look like garbage. He showed me some pictures, and it actually looks really cool. I'm sharing some photos with his permission so you guys can judge for yourselves.

el gto 3 (Large) (1).jpg
el gto 4 (Large).jpg
Elcamino with trailer (Large).JPG

1 el gto 2 (Large).jpg

1 el gto 3 (Large).jpg

1 el gto 6 (Large).jpg

Here in Texas, there was a blue 67 El Camino with a 67 GTO front clip on it and that was 30 plus years ago.

Nice concept, but the rear doesn't seem to flow with the front. Still screams Chevrolet. Perhaps if he'd use Tempest station wagon quarter and tail lights.

He does nice work but the roofline is what throws me off. The hardtop gto has a beautiful roofline and the El Camino roof and windows kills it for me. But the work looks quality and not some hacked up junk like most cars like that are.

I think it looks fine. Obviously very custom. I like it.

The person who thinks that they have the “correct” car, usually spends their time nitpicking other’s.

It looks a little nose-heavy to me. Awesome work though. I love the fact that you wouldn't very many like it.

Have you guys seen a Comet/Ranchero? I've always thought looked pretty slick.

-
Back