The "Indestructible" Slant 6

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be durn :clock: this thread is stihl surviving :sign7: and still make'en me lmao.

Wait. .I missed something. ..when did the supra engine get introduced here?

Once a chevy guy well your............you know what I mean!

In no way can I see blaming the slant. I for one have pulled many out junked/give away but now after realy looking one over I have a new respect for them. My daughter and I are rebuilding her a 71 slant 6 Canadian Dodge Dart.

The biggest thing I hear "bad" about them from the Mopar crowd no less is this. "They only have four main caps." Well, lemmie enlighten you. Yeah, they "only" have four, but I bet you didn't know those main caps are the same size as 426 HEMI caps, did you? Also, they are a deep skirt block, much the same as a big block and HEMI. They are NOT weak engines.

The biggest thing I hear "bad" about them from the Mopar crowd no less is this. "They only have four main caps." Well, lemmie enlighten you. Yeah, they "only" have four, but I bet you didn't know those main caps are the same size as 426 HEMI caps, did you? Also, they are a deep skirt block, much the same as a big block and HEMI. They are NOT weak engines.

Thats where it hit me! The crankshaft in a 71 225 is a very nice piece! I know its not apples/apples to what he was running, but still yet, a very good design.

with slight mods 440 billet caps drop in no less.

Even the cast cranks are beefy. I got no problem with the fact my Super Six is a cast crank motor. It came out of a truck and it's going right back in one. Cast cranks are lighter so it'll have less reciprocating mass.

hay you know my trucks got 350 in it I will put injectors in it and then slap on a turbo . If some one will buy me a new CHEVY motor when i do the same thing to this 130,OOO MILE motor bawoom . With a non mopar motor just sayin

I hit a rock in my 225 dart sport and ruined my oil pan. This was 50 miles from home. I had no money and no cell phone so me and my brother drove it home with no oil. Changed the pan and added oil at home and that motor ran strong two more years that I know of. Sold it still running. So I'd like to see a 350 do the same lol

I hit a rock in my 225 dart sport and ruined my oil pan. This was 50 miles from home. I had no money and no cell phone so me and my brother drove it home with no oil. Changed the pan and added oil at home and that motor ran strong two more years that I know of. Sold it still running. So I'd like to see a 350 do the same lol
LMAO like i said have got the 350 just some ones got it fix it when it gos bawoooooooom ! lmao :cheers:

This makes me wanna go out and get the cheapest runnin 350 I can find, chunk it on a stand, drain the oil bust it off and blow it up and go post it on some chebbie sites. It needs to be a 4 bolt block with some double hump heads on it. I'll sling it to 7K RPM so it comes slam apart.

Hell I got one but its not a slant 6 its the 3.9 v6 hahah My old dakota had 250.000 miles on it smoked Used oil and and what not ..... That motor had been ran outta oil to the point that it was not on the dip stick and the lifters was rattlin 3 times (maybe 4 )(not by me) pull that off with a ford or a chevy motor ! You can ask any one that knows me i beat on that truck all the time . I even over reved the motor one time in the ice and made the liffters rattle for 2 weeks after lol then she shut up lol that truck is still driving around as a matter of fact i went back to buy it back little over a year ago and test drove it and seen she didnt smoke on start up I thought this to be odd lol Well it was the guy had ran her outta oil lmao Her liftter was rattlin agin ! ut some oil in her and shes still going i didnt buy her back tho i forgot how much body work she needed lol

Attachments

• 27631570386_large.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 212
  • 27631570057_large.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 27631570037_large.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 229
  • 27631570156_large.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 217
This thread makes me chuckle a bit as my buddy has a 56 bel aire. A couple winters ago we pulled a tired 265 out and put a fresh 283 in. Runs pretty good, but now he bought a 10:1 350 on the cheap that he is going to put in soon. He has a 440/727 combo sitting around for his 37plymouth project that has really just become garage decor. I always tease him we should put that 440 in and show everyone the real heartbeat of america. He smile and replies, "I have the technology but I'm afraid I'd get murdered at a car show."

This thread makes me chuckle a bit as my buddy has a 56 bel aire. A couple winters ago we pulled a tired 265 out and put a fresh 283 in. Runs pretty good, but now he bought a 10:1 350 on the cheap that he is going to put in soon. He has a 440/727 combo sitting around for his 37plymouth project that has really just become garage decor. I always tease him we should put that 440 in and show everyone the real heartbeat of america. He smile and replies, "I have the technology but I'm afraid I'd get murdered at a car show."

Come to think of it, I never did see the 318 powered Bel Air or its owner again. ..

Nah, just too busy fitting my engine to read all of your hate mail. Who cares what I do with MY car? You guys should be happy it might even somehow make yours worth more. Since a Dodge V8 and 4 speed wasn't a bolt in swap either (terrible design running the shifter linkage between the floor and crossmember) I figured I'd do it at a fraction of the price. Oh and I'm using a 302 HO EFI, picked it up for $150 with the harness, computer, and sensors. Transmission for $75 with bellhousing and Foxbody swing pedals for $30. So far everything is fitting great, no issues and no cutting up my floor to mount a manual transmission. After weighing the pros and cons of the 5.0 vs the 5.7 Vortec the 302 won.

And for the last time to all who Pm'd me, the car is NOT for sale.

Nah, just too busy fitting my engine to read all of your hate mail. Who cares what I do with MY car? You guys should be happy it might even somehow make yours worth more. Since a Dodge V8 and 4 speed wasn't a bolt in swap either (terrible design running the shifter linkage between the floor and crossmember) I figured I'd do it at a fraction of the price. Oh and I'm using a 302 HO EFI, picked it up for $150 with the harness, computer, and sensors. Transmission for $75 with bellhousing and Foxbody swing pedals for $30. So far everything is fitting great, no issues and no cutting up my floor to mount a manual transmission. After weighing the pros and cons of the 5.0 vs the 5.7 Vortec the 302 won.

The v8 cross member bolts right up making it, GASP, a direct fit application! Of course a manual teams isn't going to be bolt up and go in an automatic car. No clue what makes you thing any manual teams would keep you from cutting up the floor.

Was that english? Come on I know you can do better. I'm not swapping K members and I'm not cutting my floor up to mount a 4 speed hump and re buy carpeting. Now all I have to do is just cut a hole for my shifter. I just put in a new slant K-member and I'm not going to fork out money for conversion mounts because Chrysler chose not to make a universal mounting system like most other vehicles. I swapped a Ford pick-up from a 240 inline to a 390 V8 and all I had to do was move the mounts to pre-existing holes and find a bellhousing. Not swap out the rear end and the whole front suspension and all that nonsense.

Was that english? Come on I know you can do better. I'm not swapping K members and I'm not cutting my floor up to mount a 4 speed hump and re buy carpeting. Now all I have to do is just cut a hole for my shifter. I just put in a new slant K-member and I'm not going to fork out money for conversion mounts because Chrysler couldn't have made universal mounting system. I swapped a Ford pick-up from a 240 inline to a 390 V8 and all I had to do was move the mounts to pre-existing holes and find a bellhousing. Not swap out the rear end and the whole front suspension and all that nonsense.

Well, gee. With your "skill" you should be more than capable of fabricating your own trans "tunnel" Without having to spend a ton of money. That was English. So If I can do better surely you can too....

I wonder how long the mods will let us have fun at your expense before closing this thread? Lol

Cowboy, good luck with your $225 engine/trans combination.

Sounds like you've really thought this through and you're definitely on the way to a real reliable high performance mopar. seems like nothing could possibly go wrong. you're my personal hero.

Women will want you, men will want to be you etc etc.

I had a slant in a Satellite Sebring that used to pump the oil out the dip stick tube. I just put a hose on it and captured it all in a milk jug, then dumped it back in. Lasted almost two years.

Had a bit of blowby, did it?! :glasses7:

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back