The "Indestructible" Slant 6

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread makes me chuckle a bit as my buddy has a 56 bel aire. A couple winters ago we pulled a tired 265 out and put a fresh 283 in. Runs pretty good, but now he bought a 10:1 350 on the cheap that he is going to put in soon. He has a 440/727 combo sitting around for his 37plymouth project that has really just become garage decor. I always tease him we should put that 440 in and show everyone the real heartbeat of america. He smile and replies, "I have the technology but I'm afraid I'd get murdered at a car show."

A guy Power Toured in a 57 Chevy with a 440/727 a few years ago. The drivetrain came from a 1974 Imperial...he called it the "Imperial Starcruiser". Another guy has a 1957 Olds with a 392 Hemi in it; he's Long Hauled at least six times.

:wack:

Damn....... I was at a car show once and they had a betting pool on how long it would take a slant 6 to blow (it was still in an early 60s Dart).

They wired the throttle wide open, drained the oil and it still took 1.5 hours for the thing to let go.

Does not mean much to me. Before I pulled the 2.8 v-6 out of my old Ranger I drained the oil and fired it up. Ran for close to an hour before it locked up. Let it cool down and tired again, took about 20 minutes the second time. Seeing as how I was not out of beer yet after it cooled I did it again. 15 minutes later it locked up. Dropped it off at the shop I was employed at, figured I would contribute to the scrap pile. Steve, the owner, flipped out on me. He needed a 2.8 so he could do a weekend swap in his DD. We tore it apart, it had 100k on it plus my abuse. Polished the crank, honed it and threw it back together. He put another 100k on it before yanking it out and replacing it.
This is not directed at you, but some of you folks are comical. You think that the only thing that can have a can of whoop *** opened up on it and survive is a Mopar product.....if that were the case then how did the other brands survive this long?

Weak rod bolts? That ain't all. Look at the whole rod. Heck, the side of the engine is barely as tall as a pack of cigarettes. Yeah he's movin up in the world alright.

Let him build his car...I've always said, "Let's see what happens." I'm hoping he shows the finished product. SBC's aren't popular just because they're cheap. Personally I'm glad he's going Ford and mixing it up a LITTLE bit, even though it's probably #2 most popular small block.

Let him build his car...I've always said, "Let's see what happens." I'm hoping he shows the finished product. SBC's aren't popular just because they're cheap. Personally I'm glad he's going Ford and mixing it up a LITTLE bit, even though it's probably #2 most popular small block.

It's ford. There's no good outcome I would have preferred seeing LS drivetrain

Cowboy, do you understand yet that there's no possible way at all that gudgeon could have been ripped out of the piston unless it seized in the bore?

Sorry buddy but this one was your fault and for me, hearing you blame MOPAR is just a very amusing albeit pathetic excuse for you to fit a bargain basement boat anchor into your car instead of spending some money to do it right like the rest of the world does.

I appreciate you having a go at a turbo conversion, I imagine it gets complex and you can't be surprised if things break on such a risky project.

You need to realize that when you can't take responsibility for your own failures and instead immediately blame the manufacturer, you're gonna very quickly find nobody wants to help you or offer advice...ever.

And after all, that's what these forums are for.

I'm not bashin the guy. I wish he'd be honest enough to post up pics of the top half. I wanna see what happened. His fault, Chrysler's fault, Santy Claus's fault, whoever.

Rusty Rat Rod I am Not doing the (What's with the innocent babe of the woods routine?) as you call it..

My first post was looking at that nasty engine with build up and could not believe it has never been neglected ............. my other posts was lmao at all the posts this thread is getting .......................... Whats with your bash on me ? Look again, and with an open mind......... Yep This thread (IMO) is just going nowhere and has turned into a bashing contest .. It's not funny anymore ..

Not bashin you at all my friend. But any post on the thread at all is pouring gas on the fire. No need to come off all innocent because you're in it up to your eyeballs just like the rest of us. lol

Rusty Rat Rod I am Not doing the (What's with the innocent babe of the woods routine?) as you call it..

My first post was looking at that nasty engine with build up and could not believe it has never been neglected ............. my other posts was lmao at all the posts this thread is getting .......................... Whats with your bash on me ? Look again, and with an open mind......... Yep This thread (IMO) is just going nowhere and has turned into a bashing contest .. It's not funny anymore ..

Weak rod bolts? That ain't all. Look at the whole rod. Heck, the side of the engine is barely as tall as a pack of cigarettes. Yeah he's movin up in the world alright.

I was trying to go easy on the guy and you went and ruined it :glasses7:

Everyone take it easy please :) No more name calling, etc.

To the OP, you can surely put a Chevy or Ford engine in your Mopar, but don't expect to find alot of support here. This is a Mopar site afterall.........

Good Luck

LMAO we are back to green flag racing on this thread hahahah .. Btw I would like to go on record that robs fat joke bout me didnt not bother me hes a friend and only friends can get away with that lol

LMAO we are back to green flag racing on this thread hahahah .. Btw I would like to go on record that robs fat joke bout me didnt not bother me hes a friend and only friends can get away with that lol

I said it cause I'm fat too so I knew I could get by wif all dat. You wanna takes it da Jerry Springer show, yo?

lol

Hay rob nanner nanner nanner ..... Fat boys have more fun hahahhahaha

Attachments

• 27631570416_large.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 204
  • 29239070216_large.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 29239070202_large.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 224
Status
Not open for further replies.
-