The one and only set of ProMaxx heads I’ve ever touched

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Not mine. These are the set of ProMax heads I checked out and wrote a post on years ago. I think I originally posted it on Moparts but have shared it here a couple of times. I probably should have bought the 340 short block or whole engine six months ago but it would have still been sitting here. Lol

IMG_4438.jpeg

Not mine. These are the set of ProMax heads I checked out and wrote a post on years ago. I think I originally posted it on Moparts but have shared it here a couple of times. I probably should have bought the 340 short block or whole engine six months ago but it would have still been sitting here. Lol

View attachment 1716301717
I think the family that runs the Steele, AL DragStrip owns the Promaxx company. They are good people. I've not personally ran any of their products. But from what I've seen they are a good value.

I think the family that runs the Steele, AL DragStrip owns the Promaxx company. They are good people. I've not personally ran any of their products. But from what I've seen they are a good value.

I called and talked to him after I inspected these heads and what he said was these heads come across the ocean like every other offshore head. But he said they come in as raw as they can be ordered then the do the seat, guide, valve job, etc. he offered me some deal pricing but at the time I wasn’t doing customer work and prices that I received would have raised my customers cost. The valves jobs were beautiful compared to other Edelbrock and Edelbrock style of heads.

Monte Smith the nitrous guru that passed away years ago had nothing but good things to say about the owner and the ProMax company. He was a very nice guy to talk to and he treated you like a friend he was going to have a beer with Friday night.

Do they always only come with four valve springs installed?

I called and talked to him after I inspected these heads and what he said was these heads come across the ocean like every other offshore head. But he said they come in as raw as they can be ordered then the do the seat, guide, valve job, etc. he offered me some deal pricing but at the time I wasn’t doing customer work and prices that I received would have raised my customers cost. The valves jobs were beautiful compared to other Edelbrock and Edelbrock style of heads.
Jason and Jack Collins are good people Jack owns several businesses here in Tuscaloosa as well as international drag way in Steele Alabama they are good folks and we used to have a lot of really good racing together years ago. We raced a lot against each other at Lassiter mountain dragway in Birmingham Alabama he was a good competitor and his dad was a sore loser LOL

Their heads are really good they are probably not on the level of your best heads or rod bloomer heads but there is a guy down here with Pro Max CNC heads on his 368 cubic inch small block mopar and I swear that thing must make 600 horsepower it runs 6 40 in a 1969 Dodge Dart custom.

The upper left picture only shows valve springs installed on the center two cylinders, unless I'm looking at it wrong. I can't zoom in to see the other pics.

Lol that was a picture from Summit or someone showing what they sell for now.

IMG_4446.jpeg

IMG_4445.jpeg

IMG_4444.jpeg

IMG_4443.jpeg

I bought a lightly used set of the standard 171cc heads from a member here and I'm excited to try them out. The transition from the valve job into the bowls looks really nice. Machining is very well done and complete. I'm no expert but I struggle to see any easy pickings to improve them. I did contact ProMaxx and was given a quote of around $800-$900 to run them through the CNC and turn them into the Shocker 185 version with 2.08" intake valve which are advertised to hit 285cfm @600. I thought that was a heck of a deal and will be doing that. As stated, he was really nice to talk to.

I bought a lightly used set of the standard 171cc heads from a member here and I'm excited to try them out. The transition from the valve job into the bowls looks really nice. Machining is very well done and complete. I'm no expert but I struggle to see any easy pickings to improve them. I did contact ProMaxx and was given a quote of around $800-$900 to run them through the CNC and turn them into the Shocker 185 version with 2.08" intake valve which are advertised to hit 285cfm @600. I thought that was a heck of a deal and will be doing that. As stated, he was really nice to talk to.

I’m not sure how they ended up with that cnc program but boy is that weak. A 2.02 valve should go 290, a 2.055 should go in the 312-315 area, and a 2.08 valve should end up over 320.

I’m not sure how they ended up with that cnc program but boy is that weak. A 2.02 valve should go 290, a 2.055 should go in the 312-315 area, and a 2.08 valve should end up over 320.
That very well may be, but I have not seen a commercially available CNC head that approaches any of those numbers. The exception might be the Bloomer head, but that also has a lot of hand work from my understanding, and they command a premium price. I'd love to see a list of people that rework SBM heads and what the resulting flow is and at what cost, but I don't think something like that exists and most of the good shops that do porting don't advertise costs. Getting someone to answer a phone to get a quote takes forever. I was considering a trip to Pennsylvania but you've stated you aren't taking on any more work. I'd rather not spend $$$ shipping the heads around.
I think a member up in Canada was having a set of the Shockers worked over by a guru and got some significant improvements, but that was with hand work and it didn't come for free.

That very well may be, but I have not seen a commercially available CNC head that approaches any of those numbers. The exception might be the Bloomer head, but that also has a lot of hand work from my understanding, and they command a premium price. I'd love to see a list of people that rework SBM heads and what the resulting flow is and at what cost, but I don't think something like that exists and most of the good shops that do porting don't advertise costs. Getting someone to answer a phone to get a quote takes forever. I was considering a trip to Pennsylvania but you've stated you aren't taking on any more work. I'd rather not spend $$$ shipping the heads around.
I think a member up in Canada was having a set of the Shockers worked over by a guru and got some significant improvements, but that was with hand work and it didn't come for free.

I’m not done but I’m done for now till I get my body fixed up. I have two customers that are beyond patient and like I said before their stuff will be done before I start on my needed work. I’ve been blessed with great customers.

Trick flow 191 heads flow over 300cfm out of the box with the 2.02 valve, at least that is what they advertise.

Which is good Jim but not great for what’s advertised as a 300cfm head.
Oh there will be improvements as I just got the car together. I drive it on the street too and want to keep it that way. I only gave 10.3:1 compression and a mild hydraulic roller camshaft. The car is a blast to drive and makes great power. For the money trick flow heads are hard to beat in my opinion. That is all I was saying.

Wish I knew what my avatar's little mildly ported Eddie's flowed on the 408. It might give me incentive to go after something better. At 11.10@119+ for a PB, right now I'm unsure what I should be chasing so I'm content to just keep enjoying it as-is. And as Jim notes, these things are a riot to drive on the streets with big torque available at the twitch of your foot. Perhaps I too should be thinking of those Trick Flows!

Oh there will be improvements as I just got the car together. I drive it on the street too and want to keep it that way. I only gave 10.3:1 compression and a mild hydraulic roller camshaft. The car is a blast to drive and makes great power. For the money trick flow heads are hard to beat in my opinion. That is all I was saying.

IMG_4184.jpeg

IMG_4177.jpeg

IMG_4240.jpeg

IMG_4241.jpeg

The Bloomer heads don’t have any hand work. After the head was developed and digitized, they are all CNC’ed at Bischoff(BES) who also does the valve job.

-
Back