The sad progression of local bolts/ nuts, and regression of projects

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
WAY WAY back in the early? 80's I worked for a large auto parts/ some truck/ logging/ chokers/ wire rope/ chain/ hydraulic hoses/ welders/ supplies/ repairs AND THEN THE BOSS started the town's first really dedicated fastener supply. With real bolts. All kinds of 'em

After he retired and that joint (sadly) died, the fastener store changed hands a couple times, then got involved with a 'glomerate, which has now been eaten up by ANOTHER glomerate. BUT UP UNTIL recently, it was still on the same site as the old parts store. "I guess" real estate happened. Now they've moved out N. of town, and instead of being "in" town and 1 mile from the house IT IS NOW A TWENTY MILE round trip. And no fun, either, because this is congestion alley. Must be 20 stop lights between then and there.

I am depressed. There is a local ACE and not only does the selection and stock suck, but the prices are just "dandy." I don't have to tell you how bad HD and Lowe's is for bolts, they SUCK unless you are building the kids a swing.

Yesterday I broke the last of the 1/4 X 3 and 3 1/2 bolts used in my balancer puller to yank off outboard flywheels.......they are grade 8................

This was the building before Fastenal moved. This building take up the entire block The Fastenal building is perhaps only 20 years old. At one time it was "the new breed" of chain parts stores, I forget (after I left). The REST of the building was the parts store. Before that newest addition, the fastener store was a stand alone building "about where" this new one stands. At one time it was the Les Scwab tire store. It is a sad end to a "dirty hands" era

Bracks.jpg

Last edited:
McMaster Carr is a great source if you have the time to order them.

McMaster Carr is a great source if you have the time to order them.
Thanks I'm aware of McMaster, and have been for decades. I even have a couple of their old paper catalogs.

There are several places I can order them if I want to wait, but often a local store even if doesn't have "exactly" what you want you can sub something. This spells the end of that.

Yep, I have an old paper catalog too. I love them for browsing. Sometimes I just can’t find what I want on a website.

-
Back