The slant or the 318

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alsdartgt

Reaction score
I have a 1972 Duster with a 225 and a factory 3 speed on the floor. Car runs great! BUT I have 318 with 6k on it.
I am toying with a slant 6 but it seems expensive compared to a V8 swap! The Duster runs perfect and is fun to drive just kinda gutless and the 3 speed seems to have all the wrong ratios.

What are you trying to do with the car? You want it to be the fastest car on the road,a good driver,trailer queen? If you swap in a V8 you will need

Transmission
Radiator
Rear axle
K frame or motor swap brackets
Exhaust
Suspension/brake upgrades etc...

How much is all that going to cost you?

Well.....the truth of it is, the 318 will get about equal mileage, so the mileage reason is toast. If you want something DIFFERENT and UNIQUE, go with the slant. If you want something with a little grunt and growl, go with the 318.

Well this is the problem, I have a Pretty fun Dart with a small block... I like the idea of being different. BUT the cost of being different is the question.
I dont do trailer queens.. The Duster looks great but needs rust repair repair in all the normal places. I changed up the exhaust its a "single" system but is split behind the transmission into "duals with 14 inch glass packs... Chrome tips and well fun to drive to a point.

Enjoy each car the way it is. The slant can be fun to do. Equip it lightly with some parts and enjoy it.
The total cost of a V8 swap is expensive. A swap is best left for those who must have it or desire a seriously pumped up ride/engine for there car.

The swap mounts for the Duster that will still use the /6 K-frame are about $40 dollars or so from Trans Dapt.

While you can drive the car with a simple swap without upgrading another other part, I would certainly suggest a Radiator and brakes from drum to disc up front and larger drums at the back. Also, if you have the 7-1/4 rear end, a upgrade to a 8-1/4 for any tooling around is a good idea. You'll brake the 7-1/4 pretty soon if you mod the car any little bit.

You can skate by with the OE /6 suspension, though I would not recommend hot dogging around town with it like that. (Been there done that, not a great idea)

The /6 trans will not bolt up to a small block. You'll need a small block trans. Then converter, shortened driveshaft if you change trannys from a 904 to a 727, shifter, linkage, the list goes on.

Thanks Rumblefish and Strokerscamp! I really have been toying with w multi carb set up and an a833OD for the slant. I dont that that would be as expensive as switching it with the 318...PLUS it would be different! But "speed" parts for a slant seem expensive AND hard to locate.

Well, it has been out of production for quite sometime now. Last use in a production vehicle was 1984? In trucks only? IDK for sure, but yea, a long time.

Lets face it. Unless you have a "Me 2" car (AKA Chevy) your paying a lot of money. Be glad it isn't a Caddy or Buick.

Take your time and save your monies for parts. Multi carb intakes for the /6 are rare and probably expensive since that owner probably knows it is rare. Ya gotta wanna do it to do it.
If you think the /6 parts are pricey, try a cross ram stroker HEMI. The price difference will make you dance in the streets.

But "speed" parts for a slant seem expensive AND hard to locate.

You just can't go down the 'slant six aisle' at the online speed shop and pick and choose. For some of us, that challenge makes it more fun.

Figure out what you want or need, and let those of us who have already done the legwork point you in the right direction.

Well, it has been out of production for quite sometime now. Last use in a production vehicle was 1984? In trucks only? IDK for sure, but yea, a long time.

Lets face it. Unless you have a "Me 2" car (AKA Chevy) your paying a lot of money. Be glad it isn't a Caddy or Buick.

Take your time and save your monies for parts. Multi carb intakes for the /6 are rare and probably expensive since that owner probably knows it is rare. Ya gotta wanna do it to do it.
If you think the /6 parts are pricey, try a cross ram stroker HEMI. The price difference will make you dance in the streets.

only 20K lol

You just can't go down the 'slant six aisle' at the online speed shop and pick and choose. For some of us, that challenge makes it more fun.

Figure out what you want or need, and let those of us who have already done the legwork point you in the right direction.

boy is that the truth... if it wasn't for most of the Nor-cal Killer Bee's guys i wouldn't be anywhere near where i am...

Attachments

• DSCN1387.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 751
  • 100_4906.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 735
805Moparkid Been following your Dart! NICE But not a "streetable" /6 for me...Thats bad ***!
vynn3... I think You are right! I need to enlist folks that have play a lot with the slant! I really like the car and it looks an works great! Just dont want to have 2 Small block mopar A bodys...No offense to the big block a body owners.... BUT the slant is a sound power plant and different in the world of V8's
So any advice on a multi-carb set up? Motor is strong but a factory rebuild....No performance mods done to the base engine.

805Moparkid Been following your Dart! NICE But not a "streetable" /6 for me...Thats bad ***!
vynn3... I think You are right! I need to enlist folks that have play a lot with the slant! I really like the car and it looks an works great! Just dont want to have 2 Small block mopar A bodys...No offense to the big block a body owners.... BUT the slant is a sound power plant and different in the world of V8's
So any advice on a multi-carb set up? Motor is strong but a factory rebuild....No performance mods done to the base engine.

not streetable lol? with the 3.91's it got 20mpg on the hwy consistantly while being able to run a 14.31 @ 94mph...

with the 4.88s yea no so much...

as for a ,ild build you want to mill the head around .090 for a 9-9.5:1 (cc'ing of the head and piston to deck height numbers needed for final comp numbers) light porting (mostly clean up and bowl blending) do hardened seats and then new springs (machine down guide for .500 lift)

and it will be really happy... then when you get more money get an offy intake an 390 4 barrel

Dang! I thought it was a bit rowdy for the street! I was wrong! 20MPG!? really! Thats impressive! My Dart gets about 16 on a good day! AND IS NO WHERE NEAR THAT QUICK!
So I dont do a lot of drag racing! I may here this summer.
So with a stock base engine... no cam and such. What would you suggest? I am about the BAM factor with the hood open, but want it to be streetable. ... WOW I sound like a chevy owner...

If you want a simple multi carb set up get the offy dual 1bbl http://howellautomotive.com/1960-68...sixintakemanifoldfordualstockcarburetors.aspx and then get a matched pair of holley 1920's.

Or you can pick up a super six intake(I have one for sale) for around 75.00,and run a carter bbd,holley 2280,or holley 2300.

These are the best two options for a stock cam/compression motor. When you bump the cam/compression up I would go to the 4bbl,or more exotic multi carb intakes($$$)

Dang! I thought it was a bit rowdy for the street! I was wrong! 20MPG!? really! Thats impressive! My Dart gets about 16 on a good day! AND IS NO WHERE NEAR THAT QUICK!
So I dont do a lot of drag racing! I may here this summer.
So with a stock base engine... no cam and such. What would you suggest? I am about the BAM factor with the hood open, but want it to be streetable. ... WOW I sound like a chevy owner...

yea i drove it all the way to vegas and back from phoenix for MATS last year... 20mpg... and it would idle in gear if the converter wasn't so tight lol... but idles at a grand all day...

but ease for tuning i would go a single 4... but its all in the head with a slant...

If you want a simple multi carb set up get the offy dual 1bbl http://howellautomotive.com/1960-68...sixintakemanifoldfordualstockcarburetors.aspx and then get a matched pair of holley 1920's.

Or you can pick up a super six intake(I have one for sale) for around 75.00,and run a carter bbd,holley 2280,or holley 2300.

These are the best two options for a stock cam/compression motor. When you bump the cam/compression up I would go to the 4bbl,or more exotic multi carb intakes($$$)

yea multi carb is pricey... though i keep thinking side drafts or fast EFI

I like that Offy manifold! With a stock bottom end it would work well. Your super six is manifold only?

/6 engines are fun to mess with and very durable. Hop up parts are not easy to get and not cheap.

A 318 is easy to find and cheap. It can perform decent with minimal modifications, You must figure in all the needed stuff required that goes with a v8 swap such as better cooling system, brakes, better rear axle. Keep in you have to find a small block 727 or 904 to use because the /6 transmission won't work with a 273-360. There are a few other small details as well..

Keep in mind that the build costs are pretty much the same between the 318 and 360. The 360 is actually a little cheaper if you figure in the costs of pistons, just a thought.

Not telling you which way to go..just informing you.

Yeah multi carbs are spendy and might be a bit had to tune. BUT The look is awesome and when set up I would think should work great! To me the shape of the intake screams for multi carbs. the runners would be more of equal length.

Yeah multi carbs are spendy and might be a bit had to tune. BUT The look is awesome and when set up I would think should work great! To me the shape of the intake screams for multi carbs. the runners would be more of equal length.

no it screams a new intake lol... some day i'll build it to... already got it mapped out...

Kinda need to do more research. I already hace a A body with a 408 and a 4sp! Thats why I am gonna chase down the ideas and research the /6. 805moparkid ...You will be my research guide! I am still gonna look int multi carbs!

Been there with the slant six and drove it for 27 years wishing it was a V8. I even pumped up the slant six with Clifford design products, IE header hyper pack four barrel manifold and carb. That was fine for a while till I found a wrecked 74 dart with a 318 front v8 K member,disc brakes the whole lot for $900 bucks.
I couldn't be happier with the car now it's a weekend car I drive to surf , windsurf and sea kayak. It does get about the same gas mileage but a lot more fun to drive. The best of luck what ever you decide. :prayer:
dartengine2nd.jpg
frontmotorshot-1.jpg

But I already have both.... The /6 is just different! Thats a 69 Dart with A/C! Nice Mine is a 67 with A/C and factory disc brakes and a 4 speed!

I like that Offy manifold! With a stock bottom end it would work well. Your super six is manifold only?

Its a modified manifold,with throttle bracket,and kickdown bracket,and the EGR holes are filled in. Its in the for sale section.

Turbo slant! That will give you the WOW factor
Pm me if your looking for /6 performance parts and let me no what you may need I might have it

Turbo slant! That will give you the WOW factor
Pm me if your looking for /6 performance parts and let me no what you may need I might have it

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back