There was a Spacer in my 904...?

-

Dodge72

Odd one out
Reaction score
Trying to get my V8 904 rebuilt here, first time. Thing have been going okay until I took apart the rear clutch. I have read everywhere that 904s don't have spacers.... But mine did! I can't remember if it came out before or after the Belleville spring.

So from the Belleville spring to the groove for the wavy spring, I had .094" of space.

20200830_160642.jpg

Here is what it looks like. With the wavy spring installed, it has all that clearance still and I can move the Belleville spring up and down before it hits the wavy ring. Is this normal? Should I install the spacer? It was steel, and almost looks homemade, with a welded point here (installed without the wavy spring) :

20200830_160702.jpg

It is the perfect spacer, makes it level with the wavy spring groove. But they don't need it...? Is that clearance okay? Thank you.

Here it is with wavy ring installed, no spacer

20200830_161344.jpg

yes....in the rear clutch pac....some do and some dont...

Well I decided to forgo it just to check clearance. I wet installed everything sans spacer and got right around 032", the minimum clearance for the rear clutch. Spacer ain't going back in.

but the spacer was in there went you took it apart?

Take it back apart, spacer is there to keep pressure on the bellivelle spring, with out it the forward clutch piston won't return property and forwards won't live long.
Bellivelle first, spacer ring then wave snap ring forced into drum slot.
Lon

If that spring does not work properly you will have no forward gears.....

believe it goes between the spring and snap ring

I disassembled the clutch and reinstalled the spring. The Belleville now had that spacer pushing up against it. It went Belleville, spacer, and wavy.

I assembled the transmission and did an air check. The rear clutch thumps nicely. Thank you guys!

i got 6 904 in use and only one has a spacer.....weird....I asked a former Chrysler mechanic about it.....he said...some do and some dont....ok

-
Back