thermostat water neck question

-

Abodysrule

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I ordered a water neck (thermostat housing) for my 360 and it has an o-ring for the seal, not the paper gasket. Does anyone know if those O-rings seal good or should do the old fashioned paper gasket with sealant? On paper, the O-ring seems like a good idea, just checking against reality...

thanks all,

brian

As long as it isn't a thin cast housing and manifold is clean you'll be good to go. All those cheap chrome housings warped and were the problem of sealing and even the stock Mopar housings were warping.

Thanks all, no, it's a really straight/true/thick aluminum unit, no warpage or anything, and the intake is a brand new Edelbrock dual plane unit.

ugh!...But, I ordered the Mr. Gasket 4365 thermostat...it looks like the thermostat is too big for the water neck. I found another thread on this forum that suggests it is hard to find a water neck for the Edelbrock 7577 intake manifold, the magnum and later engines have a different water neck ?

I don't have the engine yet, I can check the water neck and if it fits get a smaller diameter thermostat...in the mean time, does anyone know a specific water neck for the Edelbrock 7577 intake and also the thermostat that fits it?

The dyno pic of the engine shows a chrome one that seems to fit perfectly, but I'm pretty sure they didn't use a thermostat on the dyno.

Untitled.png

All the chrome ones like that I have used warped and leaked. I went with billet or NOS mopar housings.

I think my issue is solved, the older ones accept larger diameter thermostats (53mm). Thanks all.

Lil late, but I like mine... sealed great. Only issue I had was the counterbore was a bit tight for the socket head cap screw hardware that came with it. Just got a slightly longer stainless bolt, split & flat washer... solved. No gasket or RTV to mess with...

20220726_165046.jpg

My Billet Specialties o-ringed thermostat housing sealed up great except when I took it off the intake, the o-ring was in sad shape so I jumped online to order one and was shocked to see a $29 price tag! lol

For an O-ring? McMaster Carr has any o-ring you can imagine....

From the look of the dyno photo, I think my intake is the Professional Products Crosswind Intake 55026.

Torque it in inch lbs, doesn't take much, was there a product sheet? Like, 15-25 in lbs?

For an O-ring? McMaster Carr has any o-ring you can imagine....

From the look of the dyno photo, I think my intake is the Professional Products Crosswind Intake 55026.
I'm actually putting an order together for some hardware from McMaster Carr right now. I'll add a few orings to the order. :thumbsup:

I'm actually putting an order together for some hardware from McMaster Carr right now. I'll add a few orings to the order. :thumbsup:
You can get whatever size, cross section, material you want from McMaster Carr...I do a lot of shopping there.

Torque it in inch lbs, doesn't take much, was there a product sheet? Like, 15-25 in lbs?
I'm having the magnum built for me, it's on the dyno, should be shipping soon...but I'll check those bolts (and all the others) when I get it.

-
Back