thinking of moving south again

-

alsdemon

Reaction score
Thinging of moving back to fla. i moved back in 80 for 10 years orlando,tampa. were i lived. moved back home in 90 grandparants were getting old . they have passed. still have mom and dad here but don,t have much to do with them. i have 5 kid,s now and wife 3 dogs and a cat. i left my job of 12 years owner son starting to run it in the ground and was not treating me right. i see lot,s of auto job,s down there. and the weather is alot beter. lost house got a bad loan one of them you read abount. i still know people that live there and lot,s of you guys and gals live down there too. but the thought of moving there could be a real job. rent a truck and moving that far is scary, but we are going to have to move anyway. just trying to fig. out if it,s doable, are cars will make it but have tools and lot,s of other stuff too. so confused. any input might help tired of the jerks that own or hire around here. als

It is do-able. Some important issues are: 1) having your wife and kids on board with you on the idea. 2) having a job lined up...as you know Florida is not the land of milk and honey, but with your skills you can find a good job. 3. Do a lot of networking starting with the people you know.

Like someone said: wherever you go, there you are...meaning that moving is not going to solve all your problems. Also you have to keep an eye on your kids because there's a lot of trouble they can get into down there too.

As far as the process of moving, there's a saying 'if you can pack one box, you can move." It's just takes the effort.

I hope some of our Florida members can help you with this decision.

Hey Id say do it! I just moved from Florida to connecticut for a job and wish I could move back. Florida is a great place to live and there are deals on buying and renting houses that would make your head spin there because of how bad the market went. If you dont have a job right now then get a truck and go. I dont know where you plan on moving in FL but I lived in Palm Coast and it is an awesome city not too big right on the beach only about 60k people there, lots of old people so that means lots of mechanics. PM me if you want some info about housing there I know someone that can get you a deal (buying or renting)
Good luck

i have been thinking of moving south also. not quite that far though. most likely north carolina. probably in about 3-4 years. the biggest fear is leaving a good paying job here and packing up and moving from a place i lived all my life. i see others do it all the time and everything works out ok for them so why not me. whats the worst that can happen? i go broke? hell i'll deliver pizza if i have to just to get by. as far as watching the kids to keep them out of trouble. they can get in trouble no matter where you live.

When I moved my family down to North Carolina in 2007 I was afraid and unsure also. You can never predict what will happen with such a long distance move but I had just lost my home in Mass to foreclosure due to major surgery in 2004 which FORCED me to refinance my home and got into a mortgage I never should have signed. But things happen for reasons unknown to us when they happen and after all that happened I have found that living in the Southern states has been a benefit for myself and my family. We have met great people down here and I and my family have been truly blessed with success in both our lives and our children's lives. it has been a very positive experience for my family.

They can't give houses away because there aren't any jobs. Lose your job down here now and you'll be out of work for awhile. There have been so many new car and used car dealerships close here it isn't even funny. Independent shops are closing too, no one has any work. We are just scraping by and that's only because the boss takes care of me. Some of the guys here aren't making 15 hours a week. It's damn tough here right now.

Considering there are literally thousands of unemployed mechanics down here now the shops can be very picky about who they hire. The days of walking across the street and getting another job are long gone.

I moved around my hole life and just stopped off here at Arkansas 34 years ago. :happy10:
It could be another breath of fresh air when the new doors open in your lfe :cheers:
Enjoy and hope for the best makes everything work out :happy10:

if you were to rule out the job issue, question is could you stand the weather there? i spent 27 years in NJ, moved to Az and hated every minute of it. Dry heat my ***. Moved to Eastern Wa., last trip to Az over the summer I could not wait to leave, screw that heat. My wife was born and raised in Az. Last winter was her first away from it. When she went to Az over the summer to visit her dad, she was not even out of the airport and wanted to change her ticket to get the hell out of there. just my opinion of course...

lol.. funny, i have two friends that moved to az from nj and they love it there. me i think its too hot also..

This is for anyone that is considering a big move. A job is one of the most important factors in considering a move of that nature and with that said, the medical field has employment all over the nation but you have to be able to fill the shoes. Here where i live there is a company called Air Evac. They are a medical chopper company that has operations in many many states and this is their national headquarters and employ several thousand people. This is a great place to raise children and have a sain mind. Sometimes things are slow here for myself but am always able to provide for me and mine and still have some left over to play with. Like most i probably play too much. The weather here is 4 seasons and the worst part in summer is the humidity. We are 90 miles southeast of Springfield, Missouri. In calling you could have a job before you land here. Never know until you try. I'm sure they have a website that list employment opportunities. Good luck and i'll say a prayer on your behalf because i know they work.
Small Block

I did the same thing years back but I was very leary of giving up my very private Pennsylvania property with a back yard full of three thousand acres of the best hunting one could imagine but the area was depressed job wise and I was tired of listening to people brag that $10.oo an hour was good money working at a chrysler dealership so I sold it all and got a job at a benz dealership in Atlanta after I got experience at a Benz dealership in Pittsburgh.
I did not just move and hope for the best as I had a plan to get out of there and had something lined up once I got there.

Things change and I got tired of working for a dealership and years of moonlighting finally brought enough business to go out on my own and start a sucessful mobile auto repair business.
It has not been easy but the weather is friendly all year around except for a few cold weeks in winter time, but it sure beats months of freezing my *** off, making no money, working for tyrants in a shop full of whiners with slush dripping in my face from rusted, beat up piece of crap northern cars.

I look at it this way, if illegals can jump the border one day, come to Georgia, sit in front of a Citgo station, get picked up by a total stranger, make $100 a day doing whatever, anybody can.

If I could figure out how to make a living selling painted coconuts to tourists, I'd move to Hawai'i today.

-
Back