-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I think he has done this before but I may be wrong

Tim Murphy

He places a post selling something
I reply I can take it what does he want for them and then just sells them to someone else.
People need to respect the rules which I thought if you reply you want it first you are the one that buys it, No ?

It sucks when people do things like this...

MAPS

Last edited by a moderator:
I asked first about a part and told him I was interested then asked for shipping quote and got no reply and he sold to someone else before I got shipping cost and when I confronted him he said he paid me right away..... first with the money gets it..... so it happens.
* My “It happened to me once” example*
Not part of this situation my bad for the confusion.

Last edited:
The only thing I see he has had for sale is the floor mats and some gauges. I see a response from you now. Did you sent him a PM? 2 things, 1) always respond to the sale thread with a "PM sent" and immediately send a personal message. 2) sellers can sell to whoever they choose in any order they choose. The fair thing is to sell to the first member that sends a PM regardless of what is said on the sale thread. But there are no set sale rules for that just a common courtesy to your fellow members.

Ok, ill play
We are talking about the mats, correct?
I see 3 posts there

His
Yours
3rd member

Now, in his post, I see an asking price, shipping and acceptable payment methods

Zero editing

The insee your post, which now is asking for a price, and has been edited once

then 3rd members posts, and says, "ill take em, and he reaffirms acceptable payment method"

so sure you were the first to express interest
but it also looked a little like you might been yanking his chain, asking for information allready in the main post

so, that makes 3rd member the first on there with the cash

+

It might be that common decency and manners can vary a L O T from person to person.
I've sold things with the help of this site. Sometimes with a high demand item, I wish that I had one for every person that responded....Not because of the money but because I know that it sucks to want something and miss out on it.
I always respond to the messages in the order that they come in. I tell the first person that they were the first up. I then respond to the others that I have others ahead of them and that if the deal falls through, I will contact them.
That is how I want to be treated. It has worked out well for me.

The only thing I see he has had for sale is the floor mats and some gauges. I see a response from you now. Did you sent him a PM? 2 things, 1) always respond to the sale thread with a "PM sent" and immediately send a personal message. 2) sellers can sell to whoever they choose in any order they choose. The fair thing is to sell to the first member that sends a PM regardless of what is said on the sale thread. But there are no set sale rules for that just a common courtesy to your fellow members.
I see the response now. Did you send him a PM?

I see the response now. Did you send him a PM?

No I didn't cause it was close to 3 am but that's no excuse I edited cause I was wanting to know what he wanted for them as I seen he had them for sale and never got a chance to reply as it was closed so I asked cause I'm in Canada and have to pay with PayPal etc so I could go ahead and buy them, I had a good idea what he wanted but not 100% sure with the shipping.
I figured he would reply and I would tell him how and where I can send the cash.

But to also give him his due he wrote to me after the sale cause I wrote to him asking why did he sell them when I said I would take them and he said he didn't see my post was the first one.
So I replied, that he could just tell the person it was an honest mistake and I would just pay the guy what he sent him and everyone has what they need or sent. I told him it was his call now.... So I'll let you know how it turns out.
I have bought a few things here from people even driven to the States to pick up the parts but I just felt he didn't give the first caller the chance, that's all.
Personally, I have a set but it's airways nice to have an extra set but it's the way it was handled that irked me.
Thanks to everyone who has said his piece.

It does kinda suck sometimes, but people can sell to whomever they want to. I've been in the same situation before......but I do admit most of the time I get a message saying someone was before me, which is cool, because that's common courtesy. A lot of people don't do that, though, unfortunately.

It is what it is but that does not mean we must like it.. or accept it.
Bottom line I just felt the man (seller) showed no courtesy.
We all make mistakes but when the error can be corrected the next best thing one can do is to, correct it.
Don't know where he stood at the time but I doubt he had sent them out within a few hrs in the day.
Anyhow, live and learn. (On my part that is)

It is what it is but that does not mean we must like it.. or accept it.
Bottom line I just felt the man (seller) showed no courtesy.
We all make mistakes but when the error can be corrected the next best thing one can do is to, correct it.
Don't know where he stood at the time but I doubt he had sent them out within a few hrs in the day.
Anyhow, live and learn. (On my part that is)

You can disagree all you want, but I was in agreement with you.

I've had the same problem here a few times, send a PM, add a note, told the dog and let gramma know and it didn't seem to matter. My advise would be to add the seller to your "ignore" list.

I don’t know why it “should” be first come first served. I like the idea of putting something out there for sale and giving everyone 24 or 48 hours or so to see it. I don’t like it that someone should get something because they serf the site every ten minutes or have an app that searches for them.
There are some members that I like selling to, or buying from, and others I don’t. If Rusty wants a part that I have for sale for his 64 Valiant but he is the fifth person to ask about it, I am fairly sure that I would sell to him because is a hell of a nice guy, he is working on a 64 Valiant (which I love), and he is usually helpful and uplifting to others even if he does like bathroom humor.
Some members rub me the wrong way with things that they say or do (Trump and Bible thumpers... “Do as I say but not as I do” people), and I can think of several reasons why I would favor some members over others for reasons not worth mentioning here.
Sometimes people won’t sell or buy from me because I don’t and won’t use PayPal. Bottom line, it’s my parts and I can sell it to whomever I want and if you don’t like it then tough nuts.

Last edited:
I didn’t read all the responses, but, people do send PM’s without mentioning it so nobody knows who responded first but the seller. Secondly, if I have something for sale and I get the same dollar value but I have to go through packaging and shipping vs local pickup, it is my option to do whatever I want. Common courtesy is not really clear cut at all times.

How about 'Ill take it but I can only pay you next friday'. Then it falls through? Ouch. Or "Ill take it, whats shipping on a gauge..", 40 bucks..."oof, ill have to pass" 4 days later as it took him that long to get you a quote. I'd suggest we sell all things "shipped" unless its a huge part that has to be trucked or something. Thats what Im gonna start doing. Every sale is an adventure....

How about 'Ill take it but I can only pay you next friday'. Then it falls through? Ouch. Or "Ill take it, whats shipping on a gauge..", 40 bucks..."oof, ill have to pass" 4 days later as it took him that long to get you a quote. I'd suggest we sell all things "shipped" unless its a huge part that has to be trucked or something. Thats what Im gonna start doing. Every sale is an adventure....

I have that issue pop up sometimes. Being on nothing but social security now is a *****. Sometimes things pop up when I just don't have it. If it's something I really need, I ask. Most guys have been very gracious and held parts for me. Only once or twice have I not been able to finish the deal and I've sent messages as quickly as possible. I cannot thank those of you who I've done business with enough. It's much appreciated.

I have that issue pop up sometimes. Being on nothing but social security now is a *****. Sometimes things pop up when I just don't have it. If it's something I really need, I ask. Most guys have been very gracious and held parts for me. Only once or twice have I not been able to finish the deal and I've sent messages as quickly as possible. I cannot thank those of you who I've done business with enough. It's much appreciated.
We have discussed that in another thread a few months ago. As long as both parties agree that it's ok to hold parts or delay payments that's ok.

All this over repopped pieces? Their floor mats for christ sake. I've lost out recently on a few things. Some people are EXTREMELY SNEAKY. Buy and resell on here.
I tried to sell you a wash knob and a turn signal. They are still here....and I will sell to whomever i want or dont want.

I think this thread has taken a life of its own.
What I was just trying to say if someone puts something for sale, and someone tells him I'll take it, doesn't he have that right as the first person to say, I'll take it, to buy it.

Note: We are not taking into account variables, as they are all different my father passed away, tornado blew my roof out, my bank was held up and they will be closed for 2 days...
But If someone says, ok I'll take it, what do you want for it cause he had no price up yet, then edited to show the price and then sells it, I just thought it was not a respected way doing business.

Now if someone likes to sell to certain people and not to others, it's their Damn right also but maybe they should just email/pm that person and ask him if he wants the part first, if no one bus it then he can place it on the board for sale... And if he likes he can even state, I will not sell to Caucasians or Atheists for all I care but you can't go put your car at an auction and if the guy who wins the bid is someone you don't like you won't still it even if he has passed the most for it.
You can place a reserve and again your right but don't tell me, I like Mrs Smith but not Mr Smith.
Yet the Smith's are buying it.
JMO..

@RustyRatRod
You my man... All respect.

I think this thread has taken a life of its own.
What I was just trying to say if someone puts something for sale, and someone tells him I'll take it, doesn't he have that right as the first person to say, I'll take it, to buy it.

Note: We are not taking into account variables, as they are all different my father passed away, tornado blew my roof out, my bank was held up and they will be closed for 2 days...
But If someone says, ok I'll take it, what do you want for it cause he had no price up yet, then edited to show the price and then sells it, I just thought it was not a respected way doing business.

Now if someone likes to sell to certain people and not to others, it's their Damn right also but maybe they should just email/pm that person and ask him if he wants the part first, if no one bus it then he can place it on the board for sale... And if he likes he can even state, I will not sell to Caucasians or Atheists for all I care but you can't go put your car at an auction and if the guy who wins the bid is someone you don't like you won't still it even if he has passed the most for it.
You can place a reserve and again your right but don't tell me, I like Mrs Smith but not Mr Smith.
Yet the Smith's are buying it.
JMO..

@RustyRatRod
You my man... All respect.

Oh yeah we're all good. I agree. When someone says "I'll take it" that should be it. Over and done. Unfortunately, it's not like that. Plus, think of this. People are also free to send a PM without a notice on the for sale ad. It's entirely possible that happened. However, if that was the case, you should have been informed and you were not, so trust me, I see your point.

In short, the answer is no. No one has the “right“ to buy anything. No one is obligated to sell anything to anyone.

Back in 06 I was the winning bidder on a 70 Road Runner on EBay. The guy messaged me that he doesn’t sell to Canadians and his car was built in the States and will be staying in the states. So I didn’t persue it. Same with a boat. Kim

In short, the answer is no. No one has the “right“ to buy anything. No one is obligated to sell anything to anyone.

Yeah. kinda like when we have a benefit auction......nobody is obligated to hold up their end of the deal. It's dirty, but it's happened before. Sometimes people just don't keep their word.....I get what he's sayin and I agree with it, but it just don't always happen that way.

not picking sides here, but if this is true, im not seeing it
we are talking about these, right?

[SOLD] - 67-69 Plymouth Barracuda floor mat set

i can tell where you edited your post, but the sellers post seems unedited

could it be you just overlooked the price?

No, not at all. It should be that simple but often it is not. A number of times people have said that to me and then the shenanigans start up.

Give me a few more days to pay.
Sell it to me for less.
I think shipping is to much, sell it to me for less.
Do you guarantee the part?
Can I get my money back if it doesn’t work?
Split shipping with me?

Im not a guy that says first person to put cash in my hands first gets the part! First come, first serve, but no guarantee you’ll get the part. Be prepped to pay or loose the part. I’m not here to play games on selling parts.

Most, if not all of the parts I have sold included shipping.
The price listed is what you pay to your door.
And people still quibble.

-
Back