Thread sealant for Power steering bolt, 340

-

Woodsman341

Reaction score
My wife and I just started working on her project Dart ('75 Sport with a '71 340). It's been 30 years since my last Mopar and I completely forgot about the power steering bolts going through the water jacket.

What thread sealer do you folks typically go with?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Never had a problem with those holes seeping on a small block, don't remember ever putting anything on those bolts either.

I use this stuff for vc bolts, exhst bolts and wp/tc bolts. Not a drop

20241013_210913.jpg

If you forgot that, then maybe you forgot that it is possible to drive a too-long bolt into the #1 piston cylinderwall, hard enough to crack it? which will then allow coolant into places it's not supposed to go, lol.
Those bolts, almost all of them, are location specific, so be careful.

If you forgot that, then maybe you forgot that it is possible to drive a too-long bolt into the #1 piston cylinderwall, hard enough to crack it? which will then allow coolant into places it's not supposed to go, lol.
Those bolts are , all of them, location specific, so be careful.

No, that I do remember! Thank you, though, for helping me (and others) avoid costly mistakes.

The original bolts had a seal built into them. Hard to find new ones, or, ones with good seals these days. Good luck on the thread sealer.

It was like a sliver of plastic that fit into a groove cut into the bolt threads. Some were more of a plastic dot pressed into a hole drilled into the threads. I was there to prevent oil from following up the threads and leaking out.

It was like a sliver of plastic that fit into a groove cut into the bolt threads. Some were more of a plastic dot pressed into a hole drilled into the threads. I was there to prevent oil from following up the threads and leaking out.

Now that you mention it, I believe I do remember that. But that was a long time ago so I can't be sure :)

-
Back