throttle linkage question

-

mopowers

Reaction score
Has anyone here used the stock throttle rods for a /6-V8 conversion? Does anyone have a picture of the throttle linkage for a slant 6 early A? I'm in the process of smoothing the firewall on my 66 and am trying to decide if I can run the stock linkage for my big block, or if I need to weld up the holes and use a pedal and cable from a late model A body. And I can't find my linkage in my garage, so I need to know what it looks like.

Cant say that a rod style gas pedal hasnt been used,but going to a cable-operated gas pedal would make your life much easier.

You need the cable. Rod would be in direct conflict with valve cover. Also rod rotates side-to-side, not front-rear.

I did a /6 to V8 swap on a '65 and I ditched the rod and used a cable setup from a V8 '65 Barracuda in a boneyard because of the problems C130 Chief talks about.

Chuck

Thanks for the replys guys. I figured it wouldn't work, but I thought a rod would be cool. Would a pedal from a 67 and up A body work? I may have trouble finding one off an early A v8 car.

Check out.. Lokar.com for throttle & kick-down cables and brackets. If you want to stay stock get a V8 assembly from a wrecking yard. Stock 2 barrel and 4 barrel rod assemblies are slightly different.

Thanks for the replys guys. I figured it wouldn't work, but I thought a rod would be cool. Would a pedal from a 67 and up A body work? I may have trouble finding one off an early A v8 car.

First of all if you look at the floorboard around the throttle area you will see some dimples in the sheet metal.These are the holes for the factory V8 throttle pedal.This is why I like the early V8 gas pedal,you know where to drill.Yes it is harder to find,but worth it if you can.

A 67 and later pedal will work fine,you will just have to find the right location and drill accordingly.Plus you wont have the DOT style pedal to match your brake/clutch pedals.

Thanks for the help Johnny! Does anyone any a pictures of either the gas pedal assembly or one of the engine bay side?

-
Back