timing chain cover

-

torrancetrans

Reaction score
got a 64 cuda with a 273 v8. is the timing chain cover interchangable with a 318? if not where can i find one?

got a 64 cuda with a 273 v8. is the timing chain cover interchangable with a 318? if not where can i find one?

Yes, it sure is. But there was a change for 70, (or I think that was the year) where the timing marks were built in to the cover, and moved to the drivers side of the motor, as the water pump intake moved to the passenger side. They used an aluminum water pump, and the 69 back used a cast iron one.

The 69 back, used a sheet metal timing reference marker, that goes on the bottom two bolts of the water pump.

Personally, I have converted every one of mine (except my #s original 68 340s) to the later style, since the water pump is aluminum and more readily available.

You can use your old balancer, and just put a mark on TDC.

Of course, if you are sticking with the original radiator, you will want to stick with the old style water pump, the TC should work just fine.

If you can't find an org cover you can buy a new one and make your own pointer, i know when i needed an org cover my old 69 340 it was hard to find so i bought a new TC and it was on the driver side,so made my own timing pointer on the passenger side of the cover.

cheap way out, late model cover, and timing tape on the balancer, done deal.

-
Back