Tips wanted

-

Vandal

Reaction score
Hello everyone I’m new to the community I have about 1 month with my 70Dodge Dart Custom and it’s fully stock from what I know and has all of not most of its original pieces,(it had 1 owner before me) it was a great find, my Carburetor was looking a little too dirty so I went on and removed it to clean it in the process I noticed my exhaust manifold is cracked can I get some opinions on whether I should buy a complete new one or if this is weldable.

60A17EF6-3580-4B75-B417-734C2DECEC6D.jpeg

1EC743BF-79AA-4DB2-8A53-87781C184E98.jpeg

Hello everyone I’m new to the community I have about 1 month with my 70Dodge Dart Custom and it’s fully stock from what I know and has all of not most of its original pieces,(it had 1 owner before me) it was a great find, my Carburetor was looking a little too dirty so I went on and removed it to clean it in the process I noticed my exhaust manifold is cracked can I get some opinions on whether I should buy a complete new one or if this is weldable.

View attachment 1715536126

View attachment 1715536127

Call these guys at Silver Seal, I bought a new repro slant 6 exhaust manifold for under $200 to my door and they were "out of stock" but they had it to me within 3 days....

Home - Silver Seal Products Co

If you get it welded make sure they heat it then spray weld it after drilling the ends of the cracks. That is the only sure way it won't crack again. You will need to resurface it also. This is and expensive process and we only do it on rare pieces and blocks. If you can find a used one you'll save a lot of money. Slant Six? They should be a dime a dozen. get another one.

A good welder can fix that but it might be cost prohibitive. Like mentioned above, some crack stops should be drilled on either end of the crack. Preheat the manifold and weld with nickel rod. Its also very important to let it cool very slowly. Covering the manifold in sand is a good way to let it cool evenly.
That being said, you can get this manifold for $130 shipped. I bought one of these but have not used it yet. Looks to be decent quality for the price. Fit could be another story but for the price it was worth a try.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exhaust-Ma...kup-Van-Car-/143216769026?hash=item2158627802

Thanks and yeah I was thinking the same thing of just replacing but I was like maybe I can get away with just welding but nope ima just go that other route and buy it thanks for the opinions.

-
Back