Tire interference at full drop

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had my tires balanced today. The car is up on stands and the front suspension is at full drop.

I put the tires back on and rotated the front left, all good.

I needed to get to the back side of the drivers side tire, so I turned the steering wheel full left.

I rotated the tire and there was scraping and resistance.

Tires are 215/70R14 on stock 5.5" steel wheels.

I was surprised that in 7 years of having this tire combo I never noticed this.

Nothing has changed in the combo

Who knew!
PXL_20240829_232623549.jpg

Last edited:
Uh, 215/70/15?

If that’s the size then those are almost 27” tall, so yeah, not really surprising

Sorry, but I have some questions.
Are you saying that the tires were not rubbing before but now they are?
Are you saying that you got new tires (possibly went from 205/70/14 to 215/70/14) and they rub?
Did they just all the sudden start rubbing. If they were not rubbing before, something has to be different.
I have a 69 Barracuda with 205/70/14s all around. I could go with 215/70/14 on the back, but not on the front. I have 14" sbp Cragars and the fronts are almost rubbing now.

Form your description, you did this with the front end off the ground and suspension at full drop? If so then yes this is a likely scenario since the suspension arcs inward towards the frame at full drop. Do you have the stock "full drop" bump stop installed?

Last edited:
Sorry, but I have some questions.
Are you saying that the tires were not rubbing before but now they are
Everything is the same as it was before the tire ballance, I just never turned the tires while at full drop to the lock and rotated the tires!

Do you have the stock "full drop" bump stop installed?
Yes everything is stock (some is 56 year old stock, but stock none the less)

I was just surprised by the fact that in 7 years of this tire combination I never noticed it.

-
Back