Tire pressure? Air shock pressure?

-

stackattack

Reaction score
So this Barracuda is a new project for me, just recently purchased. The front tires are 195/65r14 and the rears are 235/60r14. It also had a bit of sag in rear when I got it so after beginning to inventory the car I noticed the rears are old school air shocks. I will eventually replace them out and maybe replace/re-enforce the leafs but the front shocks were replaced last year according to good receipts/records from last owner. I put some air in the shocks (the T valve was in the trunk) to about 60psi. They didn't seem to want to take more than that. What do ya'll run your tire pressure and what should I keep them at (max is 44psi)? And should I keep the air shocks at 60psi? The picture outside is before I put air in the rear shocks. The others are the stance after I put them up to 60psi.

cudaDEC2020.png

Photo Dec 22, 7 49 28 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 22, 7 49 55 PM.jpg

Photo Dec 22, 7 50 15 PM.jpg

The air shocks I got from Napa show a max of 90psi if I remember right. I have mine set at 60psi right now. The more air you put in them the bouncier the ride.

Can you tell which brand the air shocks are? On some if you run less than 20-30 lbs they can cut the bags on a hard jounce. Better to let the ride height be your guide as to how much you keep in them. Then when you put a block and a couple rear end chunks in the back at a swap meet, you can level out the car!

My experience they tend to crack a leaf in the spring bundle also.

If I remember correctly, some of the older Delcos were only good to 90 psi and I think my Gabriel Hi Jackers were good to 120 psi. Definitely uncomfortable ride at the higher end. Max tire pressure should only be used with heavy loads otherwise abnormal tire wear will be experienced.

according to my license plate mine max out at 200 PSI

Run no more than it takes to get the clearance you need and move towards purchasing a new spring pack you'll be happy you did. Air shocks also put a lot of strain on the the cross member that was not designed to support the suspension of the car in that way that area was designed to support the dampening from the shocks not be a primary source for the suspension. what happens when you begin to pump up your air shocks you will wear or break something eventually. They serve a purpose most of us ran them for many years but my brother also had the weld his rear cross member when he broke it due to high pressure air shocks and hard driving. I have also broke loose the bushing area on the passenger side where my air shock attaches on top.

Ive owned 2 Dusters, that had the upper mounts ripped out when I bought them. Definately, get a new set of leaf springs! I believe they were Monroe's. Fill lines were melted when I got both cars. I used some of my "Vocational Ag skills" I learned in school to weld them back up!
If you have to run them for awhile, I'd start with 30psi and see how it stopped and rode down the road for a few miles. Then, adjust as necessary...

Last edited:
Your front tires are close to stock size so 28-32 psi. The rear slightly lower since most load is on the front axle. The absolute proper way would be to have the car weighed with the front and rear done separately to give you the actual load on the front, rear axles. Then the pressure can be exactly determined with load carts.
Absolutley proper repair is to replace the rear springs or add helper leafs.
The shock mounts were not designed to carry weight, Some people are under the assumption that shocks do carry weight. Not so unless they have external springs or airbags.
Ok for a truck with HD mounts but never a car. Will only cause chassis damage.\
Pre radial tire cars were built with softer springs to lessen the harsh ride of bias ply tires. The sidewalls were very stiff.

Post #9 says it best regarding the air shocks. Put the absolute minimum in to get the car where you want it. On the tires, I've always found about 35 PSI gives the best compromise tween ride and tire wear. Radial tires can have more than the bullshit 28 and 32 PSI that was the standard for so long, because they "squat" more than bias ply tires do. I would not run a radial as far down as 28-32. JMO.

My radials say 44 psi. I'd go with what the tire says. Measure Cold. I don't mind a hard ride but I can tell when the fronts are low as the power steering starts to labor a bit. My Barracuda has manual steering on 4.5 inch tires up front so steering never a problem

My radials say 44 psi. I'd go with what the tire says. Measure Cold. I don't mind a hard ride but I can tell when the fronts are low as the power steering starts to labor a bit. My Barracuda has manual steering on 4.5 inch tires up front so steering never a problem

But that's at its MAX load capacity. These A bodies are far from that.

I run whatever tire pressure the tire wants, for it to wear evenly across the tread; and that will vary with; load, temperature, rim size, driving style, tire construction details, even altitude. The goal is for the treads to be flat on the road for the most number of miles, so that they wear out, evenly.
So, the correct tire pressure is gonna come out by discovery.

-
Back