Toasted transmission

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
My 727 is toasted. Rear drum is cracked. I have a donor transmission mid 70s. The rear drum looks the same as mine but has 3 holes drilled into it. Are 727 parts interchangeable?

Attachments

• 20150930_174156.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 212
  • 20150930_174203.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 188
Ouch...
Are the three holes in the perimeter? As far as i know the reverse drums are all the same although the bands and servos may have minor changes. Look for differences in the fluid flow - so holes in the hub area, stuff like that.

Chk the sprage race OD, the bushing ID and you should be good to go.
Pretty sure they are all the same but still.

The holes are just to let the fluid exit the drum onto the band or sprag. (Whichever place they are)

A light cross hatch sanding on the outside of the drum where the band rides with something in the 320 wet/dry range before it goes in.
Same with the sprag race surface. (it helps them take hold better)

How exactly did that come about? What's the story?
From 67 to 76 at least, I think everything is interchangeable, except valve body parts. But entire VBs can be swapped. The governors are specific to diff.gear ratios and tire szs.

I don't know how I did it. When I built it I could have forgot to set band and left it tight. I'm going to assume heat did this. My donor supplied the parts and it's almost back together.

Yes there all interchangeable. I have installed rb internals in a sb case . No issues your. drums cracking is pretty common because there cast a good upgrade is to go to a steel drum.steel drums are a must when useing a trans brake. if you're using a used drum you should have it magnaflux for cracks.

All back together neighbor works for a local build shop. 20+ years he stopped and helped me. I had most of it assembled. But he said it turned good and no issues. It got a forward pattern manual valve body and new band, new support for rear and new output shaft and rear drum. I hope it holda up now

How did you have the reverse band adjusted?

Yes there all interchangeable. I have installed rb internals in a sb case . No issues your. drums cracking is pretty common because there cast a good upgrade is to go to a steel drum.steel drums are a must when useing a trans brake. if you're using a used drum you should have it magnaflux for cracks.

Your getting the rear drum mixed up with the front drum. The front drum is what you replace when using a manual valve body

-
Back