Today's "thrilling" white knuckle "almost a boat ride" LOLOL

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Finally got the 50 buck 75hp (61 Evinrude Starflite) out for a test run. Bear in mind I EXPECTED trouble and was VERY VERY careful with the wheel and throttle, and it's a damn good thing. With that "big stick" that deep in the water it has a LOT of leverage. This is a long shaft engine on a short transom. You do NOT want to give it much helm.

Good news........Engine runs good at high speed. I slowed it down to adjust the low speed, and ................fuel delivery problems, just like the 35 hp. Oh well...........

Other "bad" is have not near enough prop. Neither of the 50hp ones fit ---the shaft setup is completely different and they are too large dia. I put the prop off the "new" 80 on there but I don't think it's the right prop for the 80, either. It needs WAY more.

But in spite of the trouble, it answered the question which is "Is this worth going forward" and the answer is YES. So next step is to finish up the engine, get the fuel system fixed, AND BUILD A JACK PLATE SYSTEM

The boat is all tipped over in the one photo, but with me in the seat, things are "more plumb"

It's 11:45AM. If I can get the fuel fixed I may go for another ride. The weather next few days is not gonna be good, and it'll deteriorate sometime today. It is overcast now, it was a GREAT morning though

IMG_2603cs.JPG

IMG_2602cs.JPG

The preliminary barrel test LOL. Barrel is a bit small.........

Some might say you have an affliction........addiction? lol

OK "safely" got back from round two. The good the bad

Went out and slipped the trailer RIGHT down the ramp, went over and tied off the rear line, walked up jumped the dock into the Dakota bed, undid the winch and gave her a shove, jumped off the side of the Dakota, and ran er up to the parking lot. Went over to the "privy" and took a leak. Then got stopped by someone in the parking lot, bla bla bla, and went back down the ramp to the boat. FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I LEFT THE DRAIN PLUG OUT!!!! There was a "fair" amount of water in the thing by then, I'm lucky I didn't spend another 5 minutes with the bla bla bla. No one was waiting to use the ramp

So I painfully winched the thing on the trailer and waited a LONG time to drain it, and "re re re re launched"

Then I had to screw with fuel pumps. I have three I'm still not sure what was going on. MAYBE the sediment bowl gasket was leaking which is on the SUCTION side of the pump Anyhow we finally got to "go."

THAT THING IS TWITCHY. I have no idea what prop are on the 80hp (now on this 75) or what was on the 75, but they are WAY too small. It only does 31, about the same as the 35hp, but the RPM sounds like it's off the charts.

Next step?: It's a long shaft, so build the jack plate project, then get a tach on it and see what I can find out about propping the thing.

No photos, no movies, it's too damn twitchy with that deep leg

OK "safely" got back from round two. The good the bad

Went out and slipped the trailer RIGHT down the ramp, went over and tied off the rear line, walked up jumped the dock into the Dakota bed, undid the winch and gave her a shove, jumped off the side of the Dakota, and ran er up to the parking lot. Went over to the "privy" and took a leak. Then got stopped by someone in the parking lot, bla bla bla, and went back down the ramp to the boat. FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I LEFT THE DRAIN PLUG OUT!!!! There was a "fair" amount of water in the thing by then, I'm lucky I didn't spend another 5 minutes with the bla bla bla. No one was waiting to use the ramp

So I painfully winched the thing on the trailer and waited a LONG time to drain it, and "re re re re launched"

Then I had to screw with fuel pumps. I have three I'm still not sure what was going on. MAYBE the sediment bowl gasket was leaking which is on the SUCTION side of the pump Anyhow we finally got to "go."

THAT THING IS TWITCHY. I have no idea what prop are on the 80hp (now on this 75) or what was on the 75, but they are WAY too small. It only does 31, about the same as the 35hp, but the RPM sounds like it's off the charts.

Next step?: It's a long shaft, so build the jack plate project, then get a tach on it and see what I can find out about propping the thing.

No photos, no movies, it's too damn twitchy with that deep leg

Sounds like you're havin a ball and that's all that counts.

Guys it turns out all this work......screwing with old motors, ......scrapping boats..........fiddling with fixing up this 14ft MIGHT BE IN VAIN..........Monday afternoon I'm gonna go have a look at this, bigger than I want but still..........it's an old aluminum 16' Crestliner, comes with a claimed running 75hp AND a 50hp. Guy wants 500 bucks for the whole damn deal. I would "bet money" it'll be behind the Cummins tomorrow night!!!

thumbnail.jpeg

3thumbnail.jpeg

2thumbnail.jpeg

.........And it's home......^^ I figure there is no way I can come out "behind" on this, if I find something more "in between." It's only 2 ft longer than the 14ft, the the sides are WAY WAY taller. Problem for me is it's HEAVY. Trailer has rear bunks which don't make that easy

Del, you're outta control. lol Can't you move the bunks forward, or would that help?

Don't know yet. Hell it was starting to get darkish by time I got home (heavy dark overcast getting ready to rain) so I can't see much. A few weeks ago I bought a bunch of roller assemblies off a trailer, but while they were too big for what I wanted THEN they may just be the thing for here.

Plan of attack.......do a VERY quick and basic cleanup/ pressure wash, take er down and see if it floats.........that is, any bad leaks of note. Then get one or t'other engine going, most likely start with the one hanging on there and see how that goes. It was licensed in '17 so not that long ago.

This is a BIG eff'n boat. It's 75 inches widest at beam, almost a foot wider than the 14'. And DEEP

Well I DID find one fairly annoying "feature" last night late. See that missing paint in the center of the photo? Turns out the stern well is way too close to the outboard, you can not fully tilt the engine without crashing into the stern well. I may have to "fix" that. Almost makes you wonder if this was modified from a long shaft transom to short shaft. It has storage area into that void, and evidently steps up right there to increase storage space.

"We'll see"

crash.jpeg

Started a quick clean up this afternoon. The floorboards are in the one photo "slats." I don't know, maybe redwood. Some idiot put insulation down in the bilge, I guess for flotation. "Good luck." Some of them were soaked, I'm guessing this stuff is "open cell." Plus, only thing holding in the floorboards is about 6 little screws on each side. I'm sure if it sank, the foam would have floated the floorboards right to the top!!!

Did a quick VERY quick (started to rain LOL) hose out of the hull to get the worst to the stern. I'll have to devise a little scoop device to get the crud out I guess. Has a bilge pump, no idea if that works.

Not too sure if I'm impressed with whoever wired this thing. "I think" there's access to run wiring up high under the side coaming. But they laid it down in the side of the bilge and as you know "that can be wet."

As soon as I get the worst of the crap out of the hull, I'll run it down and float test it.

I've come up "with a plan" to handle the weight, "follow me" here LOLOL. I'm thinking I might need help getting it OFF the trailer (rear bunks). I'm thinking run a strap around the top of the bow and underneath, attach a wire underneath. Run the wire to the rear, over a roller and back up front to a winch. Maybe just us the winch that is there. I can back it down, unhook the bow, and winch the boat off the trailer. Or at least "that's the plan."

IMG_2607cs.JPG

IMG_2606cs.JPG

IMG_2604cs.JPG

Guy just offered me a 16 foot fishing boat/35 hp yohnson for 600 no trailer. I changed the subject. Im only a couple hundred feet from the river, havent been in a boat in almost 2 years.

Well I tell ya......there was some fast thinkin' quick draw action with the Great Big shop vac this mornin!!!!

There's a small hatch into the stern well area, and I was layin' on the floor vacuum'in up all the crud down in the bilge. I want to float test it and have it clean so I can see leaks if any.

ANYWAY I'm down there with the shop vac banging and whangin and scrapin and mak'n thumpn' and bang'un noise, and I start to look around in there at the really "neat" entanglement of wires and other crap, and turned around face up AND MY EYEBALL IS ABOUT 3 INCHES FROM ABOUT SIX YELLOW JACKETS. And they are gettin' busy!!! READY TO LAUNCH!!!!

One of the few times I managed to act quick, got the shop vac hose up there and SUCKED THOSE BABIES UP!!!

Well I tell ya......there was some fast thinkin' quick draw action with the Great Big shop vac this mornin!!!!

There's a small hatch into the stern well area, and I was layin' on the floor vacuum'in up all the crud down in the bilge. I want to float test it and have it clean so I can see leaks if any.

ANYWAY I'm down there with the shop vac banging and whangin and scrapin and mak'n thumpn' and bang'un noise, and I start to look around in there at the really "neat" entanglement of wires and other crap, and turned around face up AND MY EYEBALL IS ABOUT 3 INCHES FROM ABOUT SIX YELLOW JACKETS. And they are gettin' busy!!! READY TO LAUNCH!!!!

One of the few times I managed to act quick, got the shop vac hose up there and SUCKED THOSE BABIES UP!!!

Way to go Del! Score one for the old upside down guy!

Well I FINALLY got it out for a bit of "see" trials.. "See" if it runs, "see" if it floats, "see" if it sinks. It does have one ILL trait........poor handling REAL poor if not trimmed carefully. "It likes to have" a lot of added weight in the rear, which takes up unwanted room. It "bow steers" which can be scary. I'm also wondering if the "whale tail" might be partly at fault.

It does seem to have a minor leak up in the bow, not sure if that or the water ran forward from the stern. I believe the "biggest" leak was from the stern plug that may now have been tight. It's in a bad spot for an old may. On old crestliners it's on the BOTTOM of the hull, so you have to reach through the hatch back there and it's hard to get a good "handle" on.

Over a couple hours ride, I spose there was a quart? of water in the hull

These are a special plug, and the only guy making them that I know of on the internet want's 40.00each. This one evidently is the ORIGINAL. I don't have one for the little 12ft, I just use an expandible rubber one.

IMG_2611cs.JPG

IMG_2610cs.JPG

IMG_2609cs.JPG

Last edited:
hey dell, kinda out of the blue here, but with as many boats as you go through, do you ever come across an extra depth finder you dont need?

Finally got the 50 buck 75hp (61 Evinrude Starflite) out for a test run. Bear in mind I EXPECTED trouble and was VERY VERY careful with the wheel and throttle, and it's a damn good thing. With that "big stick" that deep in the water it has a LOT of leverage. This is a long shaft engine on a short transom. You do NOT want to give it much helm.

Good news........Engine runs good at high speed. I slowed it down to adjust the low speed, and ................fuel delivery problems, just like the 35 hp. Oh well...........

Other "bad" is have not near enough prop. Neither of the 50hp ones fit ---the shaft setup is completely different and they are too large dia. I put the prop off the "new" 80 on there but I don't think it's the right prop for the 80, either. It needs WAY more.

But in spite of the trouble, it answered the question which is "Is this worth going forward" and the answer is YES. So next step is to finish up the engine, get the fuel system fixed, AND BUILD A JACK PLATE SYSTEM

The boat is all tipped over in the one photo, but with me in the seat, things are "more plumb"

It's 11:45AM. If I can get the fuel fixed I may go for another ride. The weather next few days is not gonna be good, and it'll deteriorate sometime today. It is overcast now, it was a GREAT morning though

View attachment 1715552066

View attachment 1715552067

The preliminary barrel test LOL. Barrel is a bit small.........

Suspenseful. Expected it to jump out n come after ya at the end. lol
A lot of motor for that boat, should be fun.

hey dell, kinda out of the blue here, but with as many boats as you go through, do you ever come across an extra depth finder you dont need?

Have not got one that works. This one only has the wiring and sender, the boats (2) that had the "head" had all been out in the weather. One of them was REAL old LOL

-
Back