TopLoader to SBM 273 Bellhousing?

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hello all.
I would like to convert my 65 Val with 273 to manual transmission.
My favorite would probably be the Dakota transmission or an A833OD.
With the 833, it would of course be cool that it is plug and play :)

Since these are very hard to find here in Switzerland, I have been looking around for a Muncie or TopLoader. In fact I would have the possibility to get a TopLoader Overdrive (SROD) cheap.:steering:

Now I wonder if someone has done this before and if there would possibly be a custom bellhousing / adapter etc. for it?

Thanks for any info or other tipps.

$_59.jpg
$_59 (2).jpg
$_59 (1).jpg

A Tremec TKO is available with a Ford bolt pattern. I would have to say that it robably matches the Toploader. So one option would be to obtain an aluminum BH from Silver Sport Transmissions. Or use a QuickTime BH. This could get the trans physically mounted but you still have to deal with flywheel, clutch, clutch linkage, throw out bearing, shifter, speedometer, etc.
Auto to 4 speed conversion is not cheap unless you have a donor parts car available. Even then, costs can escalate if the trans need rebuilding or clutch needs replacement. I'm currently doing a 3 soeed column shift to a 4 soeed in a 64 Val and it's been at least 2000 USD so far using factory parts. It took me about 2 yrs to collect all the bits. I imagine the costs in Switzerland are more than double. I can find a833 cores for 200-400 USD.
Using Ford oarts only complicates things and probably neans many custom parts.
If you have your heart set on a 4 speed I would recommend patience and use Chrysler parts.

Toploader 4 Speed Transmissions

Stock SROD shifter is an absolute piece of junk, not much in the aftermarket to replace it with.

Grant

Depending on the dimensions of the transmission, how far back will the shifter be in the car? Just curious.

A early 5 speed out of a 2wd Dakota 3.9 or 5.2 will bolt right up to a 273-360.

A early 5 speed out of a 2wd Dakota 3.9 or 5.2 will bolt right up to a 273-360.
That would be a possibility, and the chance of getting one of these is also greater, since more people drove manuals in Europe. but as bcschief already said, there are probably space problems. Here in Switzerland, they are pretty picky about big changes to the body.

Hello all.
I would like to convert my 65 Val with 273 to manual transmission.
My favorite would probably be the Dakota transmission or an A833OD.
With the 833, it would of course be cool that it is plug and play :)

Since these are very hard to find here in Switzerland, I have been looking around for a Muncie or TopLoader. In fact I would have the possibility to get a TopLoader Overdrive (SROD) cheap.:steering:

Now I wonder if someone has done this before and if there would possibly be a custom bellhousing / adapter etc. for it?

Thanks for any info or other tipps.

View attachment 1715757292 View attachment 1715757293 View attachment 1715757291

It isn't clear from the information you supplied whether or not you know that the 64-66 Valiants, Barracudas and Darts all had a special modification to the transmission tunnel made by the factory to accommodate the bulky A833 and the floor shift linkage. Somewhere along the assembly line a hole was chopped in the floor and a special transmission hump stamping was welded in place. If you get to look under a factory 4 speed abody you will see what a crude affair it is. The good news is that it is possible to get that stamping. Brewer's 4 Speed sells used ones. I know that reproductions have been made and Brewer's might have those too. You could also try fabricate your own if you can get the dimensions from a kind soul. I can see that it is a significant pain in the *** to source heavy and bulky parts like this from the US to Switzerland. I don't have any new useful information about shipping that you don't already know. Maybe dating a Lufthansa stewardess might be the answer.

Quicktime makes several bellhousings that will allow you to adapt a variety of popular transmissions to a mopar engine. I would keep it all in the Mopar family for the sake of your mental health. Just my opinion.

As mentioned above, Brewer's should have all parts you need. It won't be cheap, but it will be out of one hand and you know what you get. This will save you in the end lot of headache and money.

Cheers,
Wolfgang

-
Back