Torque converter I.D.

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
ok guys I bought a torque converter from the local part store, nuthin' special just a plain old stock stahl for my 904. But I think they sent a 727 T.C.
I am wodering if the splines are any way to tell whether its 727 or 904.
I counted the splines, the smaller set which is the deepest ones there are, and there were 24. The larger set of splines has 27. Is this correct for a 904?
man I really hope so! I have not taken the other one out yet so I cant compare yet.
:sad:

Yes you can tell by the spline count. In both the 727's and 904's there were 2 different spline counts. I'm going by memory so hopefully I'm giving you the right info. The early 904's had 19 splines, later ones had 27 splines. The early 727's had 21 splines, later ones had 24. (I'm sure I'm right about the count on the later ones but the earlier ones are sketchy in my foggy old brain). This is the count of the splines on the smaller shaft in the center. Not the larger outer shaft. I don't know the count of the out shaft right off hand. Never had a reason to check that. BTW: I think it was around 67 or 68 when they changed spline counts. If your not sure on the year of your trans. post the trans. number back here and I'll look it up. The number can be found on the drivers side stamped into the case right above the pan rail.

If I read your post right it looks like they gave you a 727 converter.

Sorry to add to confusion, but if you bought a regular normal stall torque converter from the local parts store for a 360, why do you need the scalloped B&M flexplate you talked about in your other post? They are used typically for mounting high performance stall type units(Lupo's, Turbo Action, etc) to the externally balanced 360.

hey 408 thx for the concern. Actually I bought the flex plate to remedy the balance problem. That way I could use a nuetral balanced converter.

Fishy68- I think you are correct. I just looked at my reciept and sure enough the smart guy behind the counter failed again! I have officialy lost all faith in parts stores!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am restaining myself from stating to rant about it as we speak!!! lol
Well I think Ill take it back to them. I guess as usuall Ill have to be my own parts guy!!!
Man it would be nice if they tought the parts people how to use the books under the counter!!!!

uhhhhgggg well thx guys Im off to see the local grocery clerk/parts guy!

Yeah the B&M plate is a good way to go so you can switch converters at will not having to worry about having one balanced. I know what you mean about the parts guys too. Our local NAPA used to be great but the last few yrs. all they hire is kids right out of school that have never heard of a Barracuda. Probably cause they work cheaper is my guess. Alot of them are smart enough but just don't know anything about the older cars.

I had ranted about this in another post and Ill keep it quick here. As I said in the other post, when I was a parts guy about 5 years ago, if you didnt know how to read the catalogs you were considered useless!! However that was in a city where alot of these cars still are driven as grocery go getters. (SPOKANE Wa.) Now I live in a place where people buy a new car every 3 yrs or so (seems that way atleast) so there are no need to stock old parts let alone any real knowledge. Unfortunate!! I will stop now! lol Im off to locate the correct TC from summit or something. lata'

-
Back