Torque converter ID needed

-

RAT ROD AL

MOPAR ARCHAEOLOGIST - one parts hoard at a time!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have this converter that came in my parts pic. Wasn't in a box, and don't see anything to identify it. . I'd like to know if this is internal balance or not. And if it makes a difference if big block or small block.
Thanks in advance.
Al
20201124_114418.jpg
20201124_114437.jpg

Next to the 11" it looks like numbers stamped into it. Can you read them and look for more?

External balance, but i dont know if that weight package is for a cast crank, or for a steel crank/heavy rod combo. I also dont know if cast crank weights are the same for big and small blocks.
My opinion only, if that thing really stalls 3000, i doubt i would use it. For a converter that big, to stall 3000 it would have to be pretty sloppy inside. I would rather see an inch or inch and a half smaller/ tighter .

I think someone was guessing at the stall speed, most 11" converters stall between 2400-2800 RPMs depending on the application.

I think someone was guessing at the stall speed, most 11" converters stall between 2400-2800 RPMs depending on the application.
Did you happen to find anything on it?
I'd like to find out what it is, Doesn't really matter to me what it is or what it fits, But if I can find out I could give someone a good deal on it. I don't want to miss represent it as something else. Thanks guys for your help.

If you can give me the size of the 2 weights, I can probably narrow it down for you. I need to have, length, width and thickness. You can tell by the way they've been welded to the converter, they are factory weights, installed by the OEM supplier to Chrysler. Stall speed 3000? Who knows. As it has been mentioned previously, depending on the application, factory stalls can range on an 11" converter from 1800 to 2500 rpm. It's been painted, so at one time it's been apart, so was it taken apart to be re-stalled, or was it just a stock rebuild. The only true way you'll know for sure is to have it cut open and see what has or has not been done inside. It's not for a 318 or a 225 engine for sure though.
Looking through the information I've got the number 4700 or 4710 are not mentioned anywhere.

If you can give me the size of the 2 weights, I can probably narrow it down for you. I need to have, length, width and thickness. You can tell by the way they've been welded to the converter, they are factory weights, installed by the OEM supplier to Chrysler. Stall speed 3000? Who knows. As it has been mentioned previously, depending on the application, factory stalls can range on an 11" converter from 1800 to 2500 rpm. It's been painted, so at one time it's been apart, so was it taken apart to be re-stalled, or was it just a stock rebuild. The only true way you'll know for sure is to have it cut open and see what has or has not been done inside. It's not for a 318 or a 225 engine for sure though.
Looking through the information I've got the number 4700 or 4710 are not mentioned anywhere.
I'll get some measurements of the weights and post here asap.
Thanks

The weights measure 1 3/8 × 3/4 ×1/4. And the # stamped on it is 4700. Thanks for any help.

The weights measure 1 3/8 × 3/4 ×1/4. And the # stamped on it is 4700. Thanks for any help.
Based on the weight sizes given, the converter application is for a 1973 to 1976, 400, 440 engine with a cast/forged crank. Factory stall speed 1800-2100, 11" diameter, wide ring gear. I hope this helps.
I still cannot find anywhere reference to the stamped number 4700.

Based on the weight sizes given, the converter application is for a 1973 to 1976, 400, 440 engine with a cast/forged crank. Factory stall speed 1800-2100, 11" diameter, wide ring gear. I hope this helps.
I still cannot find anywhere reference to the stamped number 4700.
Thank you very much.

-
Back