Torque Converter Stuck

-

dstan

Reaction score
I had my transmission rebuilt last year and shortly after the old 440 gave out. I pulled my drive line out earlier today and found that the torque converter is somehow stuck to the crank. I have tried making wedges out of 2x4 and driving them between the flex plate and the TC, but i can't tell that it has moved at all. Any ideas on how to get it out without ruining the TC? And yes, the bolts are out of the TC (except for one that I left partially in so it doesn't hit the ground when it breaks free). Any help is appreciated.

It could be stuck because it's seized onto the crank or there is pressure on the hub. Not sure how to address either. You could loosen the bell housing bolts and place a jack under to give some pressure up and see if that helps or even jiggle the trans to try to get the converter unstuck.

It could be stuck because it's seized onto the crank or there is pressure on the hub. Not sure how to address either. You could loosen the bell housing bolts and place a jack under to give some pressure up and see if that helps or even jiggle the trans to try to get the converter unstuck.
The trans already came off. Otherwise I would have tried using the starter to break it free. lol

The trans already came off. Otherwise I would have tried using the starter to break it free. lol
Ah, gotcha. Only other thing I might suggest is to use a pickle fork between the TC and the flex plate. But I'm thinking the wood wedges would be less likely to damage the TC.

Ah, gotcha. Only other thing I might suggest is to use a pickle fork between the TC and the flex plate. But I'm thinking the wood wedges would be less likely to damage the TC.
You might try some spray penetrating lube in the area, let it soak and wiggle it back and forth, flex it as much as it will. A year isn't much time for that much trouble. Good luck.

I got it. You reminded me that I had a pickle fork in the garage and I was able to hammer it between my wood wedges and the flex plate. I got a little scratch on the back of the TC, but nothing I'm worried about. Thank you.

I got it. You reminded me that I had a pickle fork in the garage and I was able to hammer it between my wood wedges and the flex plate. I got a little scratch on the back of the TC, but nothing I'm worried about. Thank you.
WOOHOO!!:thumbsup:

Now you can stop sweating and have a cigar and a beer!

Paint a thick coat of anti seize compound on the converter hub where it goes into the crank when you put it back together and it won't do that again.

Paint a thick coat of anti seize compound on the converter hub where it goes into the crank when you put it back together and it won't do that again.
I don't really think it was seized. There was a bunch of grease on the back of it, and I believe it was creating a vacuum that was holding it in place. I'll be sure to get the paint off the hub when I put the 383 in this weekend though, and give it a little anti seize as well.

NOTE: if you query stuck converters this combo is troublesome...

a SCAT S-48005BI forged 4340 crankshaft is 1.813" I.D. at the back and a Dynamic 9.5 torque converter has a nub that is 1.811" O.D.

That is a tight squeeze! knock that hub down with a file or something or clearance the crank with a die grinder and a sandpaper roll.

-
Back