Torque spec

-

Mikes270dart

Reaction score
Is there a torque spec for upper ball joints (65 dart) or is it just really tight.

125 foot/pounds. Make sure it goes in straight and is fully seated against the control arm.

If it does not go in straight am I screwed? Can iI back it out and retry or do I have to replace the joint.

You might be! If you crossthreaded the ball joint you may have to get a new control arm. If it threaded in, bottomed out, and will hold 125lbs of torque, you're probably ok but I would replace them both if it was my car. It's one of those things that, if it fails, you could be in a world of trouble. It's not a real common part to break but it does happen from time to time.....especially in the rust belt. I've dismantled cars that had a cracked eye where the ball joint screwed in but it's more common to see the upper bushing eyes broken. I've even seen some ball joints that were tack-welded into the control arm with no apparent problem but things like that scare me. My piece of mind (and the lives of my family and me) are more important than another $100 in parts.

-
Back