Torqueflite vibration damper

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I,ve never seen one of those,whats it off of?I,m curious as to what it does and why?(other than vibration LOL)Thanks for any help

Its a big *** rubber bushing isolated weight that hangs off the output shaft under the rear seal, found in Cordobas and other rear wheel drive cruisers. I guess it would dampen driveshaft vibrations just from the sheer mass they have and the location.

What Pishta said. Works on the same principal as an engine harmonic balancer. I haven't seen many of them. No idea what this one is off of.

I've seen one or two. It's basically a weight to stick on the end of the trans to help with vibration. The frequency of vibration is based on the mass of the object. By changing the mass, you change the frequency at which it vibrates.

There is a thing called "Natural Frequency". It is where an object reaches its "peak vibration". This can be very violent and in some cases cause things to vibrate apart (Loosen). Adding mass delays when an object will reach natural frequency. Natural frequency is based on the mass of the object.

I've seen automatic parts feeders that feed parts to machines in manufacturing that use natural frequency to vibrate the parts to move them along. They can actually get parts to walk up an incline (hill) by vibrating them at natural frequency. This is a case where natural frequency is good. If it happens in your car, it is bad... It can shake things apart.

If you get a vibration that peaks at a certain rpm in your drivetrain. If you go faster than the peak it lessens, and if you go slower it also lessons, That is your natural frequency for that drivetrain of that mass is the rpm at which it peaks. By adding mass, the natural frequency should kick in at a higher rpm. This part will help that condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back