Torsion bar installation question

-

jimbo1096

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Am having a problem with the right side torsion bar lining up in the front pocket. I’ve tried raising and lowering the right side suspension but still can’t get it quite lined up. Any suggestions? I’ve heard people talk about indexing the pocket, but I’m not sure exactly, what that entails thanks

Yes, I bought the PST bars, but I couldn’t make them fit with the headers so I had to replace them with the old slant six bars that were in there. I’ve got the driver side in, but I can’t get the left-hand side lineup. Wanted to know if there was any tricks

OK, I got those same bars, and yes they were a PITA.
On the passenger side, with the shock off;
I finally separated the upper BJ from the Knuckle, so I could rotate the LCA down far enough to engage the T-bar. Once in and seated, I had to jack the LCA up a lil to re-install the BJ.
On the bench, both bars looked identical.
Whereas with the 340 bars I previously had, the adjusters were somewhere in the center of their range, in the car now, with the PST bars, the passenger side has very little preload on it, while the Driver's side has a couple of turns.
IDK why this is but it doesn't seem to affect the handling. At least not that I can tell.
I got the headers off the T-bars by raising the engine a bit, by shifting it over, and twisting it. The engine is not quite level anymore, which doesn't seem to make a difference..

and that is why I like the thicker torsion bars more than headers, unless it's a "racecar".:steering:

and that is why I like the thicker torsion bars more than headers, unless it's a "racecar".:steering:
Ima thinking you(A56) know this; but for newbes reading this;
Without headers, the Overlap cycle is sacrificed. All cams have overlap, even the factory 318 cam. Some say that headers put an easy 35 horsepower on an early 340, and that 340 cam sported only 44* of overlap. IDK if that is true, but I could believe it. If you had a 318, even 5hp would be noticed, lol.
But to be fair, the bigger the engine is, in an A-body streeter, the less important this is.
Same as goes with compression or stall.

Since I only have a 367, with a nice-sized street-cam, Headers are very important to me. As is the cylinder pressure, and I have a clutch. and 1.03 bars. And an overdrive transmission, allows me to run any street gears I have a mind to, so I get to exploit that overlap cycle TWICE on the way to 60/65 mph. That cannot happen with an automatic tho, so I see @A56 's point. I mean it could happen, but you'd have to run a rear gear, something like 4.30or more; which will take your streeter, out to the extreme outer limits, of streetability.
Long live the manual trans!
But again, running a 416, makes this, sortof moot.

Ima thinking you(A56) know this; but for newbes reading this;
Without headers, the Overlap cycle is sacrificed. All cams have overlap, even the factory 318 cam. Some say that headers put an easy 35 horsepower on an early 340, and that 340 cam sported only 44* of overlap. IDK if that is true, but I could believe it. If you had a 318, even 5hp would be noticed, lol.
But to be fair, the bigger the engine is, in an A-body streeter, the less important this is.
Same as goes with compression or stall.

Since I only have a 367, with a nice-sized street-cam, Headers are very important to me. As is the cylinder pressure, and I have a clutch. and 1.03 bars. And an overdrive transmission, allows me to run any street gears I have a mind to, so I get to exploit that overlap cycle TWICE on the way to 60/65 mph. That cannot happen with an automatic tho, so I see @A56 's point. I mean it could happen, but you'd have to run a rear gear, something like 4.30or more; which will take your streeter, out to the extreme outer limits, of streetability.
Long live the manual trans!
But again, running a 416, makes this, sortof moot.
A stock '69 340 pre- low compression, smaller valves debacle, had according to NHRA 300+ hp. That car new would run low 14s' all day easily without headers. Remember, Ronnie Sox drove one with fender well exit headers, Holley carb, Edelbrock intake, 4 speed, 3:91 SG to 13.3 106 mph with street tires. For the street they already handled really well. For fun add good shocks and a MP 1.14 torsion bar and it would be tough to wipe the smile from your face.:steering:

* As a side note this car has the heavier fold down rear seat, p/s and p/b
1722201558220.png

Last edited:
-
Back