Traction Issue

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just had my local machine shop install a new 512 440 Source stroker kit into my '70 440 block. The car is a 72 Challenger w/727, 3000 stall converter & Strange 60 rear w/3.23. I put the largest tires on the back that clear the fenders (255/50R17 Nitto).

The issue is when I go around 30 to 40 and nail the gas the car often pulls quickly to the right so I can't stay on the gas and keep control. I had replaced the shocks & leaf springs earlier and all is new. The car brakes straight so don't think the right brake is dragging to cause this.

Any thoughts?

Are you saying the REAR drifts to the right or the front? If it's the rear because of tire spin, that's normal.

:steering:
drive-gif.gif
. :steering:
drive-gif.gif

Last edited:
With that level of power and torque (and grip) I strongly second welding in subframe connectors. You also might want to check that the rear spring perches are parallel, as in the wheelbase on each side of the car is the same.

Try running 295/50-15 BFG Radial T/As. ............ I luv 'em.
or Cooper Cobras.
Every corner is an opportunity.
Always an adventure.
Practice, practice.
I am running 17 wheels, and also said that I am already running the largest tires that will fit without rubbing. Previously I was running 15" BFG's and traction was absolutely horrible. At least the Nitto tires grip better.

The rear is driving the car to the right. Nevermind.
Ok, so is the rear drifting to the right, or is it pushing the front end to the right? That's what I was trying to understand and it's still not clear "to me".

-
Back