Trailer Axles Lippert VS Dexter

-

72DMag

Reaction score
Noticing new trailers are now coming with Lippert axles. Never had any experience with the brand and all prior trailers I have owned have been dexter axles. Have owned both 3500Lb and 5000Lb Dexter's and never had a problem.

Anyone have experience with Lippert? Good or Bad? Is Dexter going down hill or becoming more expensive?

lippert axles are made by a company that makes all sorts of camping trailer and rv supplies. It does not surprise me they are now making the axles. They have been making camper frames for years. Sadly they have a 5th wheel frame issue (breaking) they are trying to cover up. Look up on Utube to see what I mean.

I have run Dexter axles upwards of 10,000 per axle on all my trailer. (Most are 7,000lbs axles in dual for 14k trailer)
Other than changing brakes, electrical mags for the brakes and bearings- they make what I feel is the best axles out there.
Hope this helps.
Syleng1

Parts for Dexter axles are everywhere. When your on the road and something goes wrong where do you get parts for a Lippert. That would be my concern. Most auto parts stores have trailer section and all the parts are for Dexter . I saw a large selection of Dexter parts at a tractor supply.

@Oldmanmopar from what I've read, the Lippert axles take same parts as dexter. Again no experience with them but was surprised to see a few trailer companies near me using them instead of dexter. I'm assuming it's to save a few bucks but not sure what's going on.

From what I just read Lippert bought Dexter and Parts are interchangeable. Lippert is made in USA , Dexter is made in USA and Canada.

I would imagine China or Mexico

These videos don't say much for Lippert quality

Please leave the political crap in the News and Political Forum, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The lippert axle are about $25 to $50 cheaper
than the dexter. The components are interchangeable.

Their axles are fine and look identical to the Dexters (Maybe
just the sticker is different?). Tubing appears to be identical
in strength and bow. All components are interchangeable and readily
available which is more than I can say for Chinese Crap! We make our
own axles for custom unobtainable configuration, so I have a pretty good
knowledge of axles.

I do not have any experience with anything else they make. We
make our own frames and have no experience with anybody others.

@GTX JOHN I know dexter throws their stamp on the brake drum. Other than Lippert doing the same You r right not sure how else to identify them. Thanks for info guys. Should be good thread for anyone looking at current trailers.

Lippert frames are junk. My wife & I have a little tin condo (park model camper) set up permanently in an ocean front campground in Myrtle Beach. There's been more than one camper had a Lippert frame break while people were coming to the campground. They have had to get someone to come weld them so they could return home. I would hope their axles would be better.

I own about 10 trailers with various builds and new trailer axles swapped under a few of them due to damaged axles under second hand abused trailers. My go it is Dexter, but I have bought used 30 year old axles and no name hubs to run those axles too! I did buy a Lippert 8000 pound torsion axle for $350 from a scrapper that bought out a closed trailer builder. That axle new retail would be $2000, and from my experience with it so far, I am happy. Big thing to consider is a cambered trailer axle is prefered to non cambered for tire wear purposes. Additionally, it does not matter what brand axle if you don’t perform proper maintenance and upkeep none will survive.

I am more then a little familiar with both axel brands. Both same same. Biggest issue with axels are......over loading. And rv manufacturing are partially responsible for this. Same as frame issues. Lippert makes 80 perfect of frames here. Failure is a combination of a lot of factors. One being overloaded. I will always buy dexter

-
Back