Trans cooler recommendations........

-

DGrace

Reaction score
Hello all. Looking to get a trans cooler & wanted to know what you guys are using. I've read that the plate style cools better and was considering the B&M Super Cooler. Going with the biggest I can afford - at least 11"x8". I also looked at a Summit Racing branded one and several eBay offerings that look very similar. It seems not much is made in the USA anymore and what is, I can't afford. Gotta save where I can but don't want to buy junk. Any experience would be appreciated. Also, I want to use AN fittings and braided line - what size (-6 or -8?) and do you guys run them through the radiator cooler or bypass it? Planning a 470 big block with a 727 w/ manual reverse vb. Thank you in advance for any help. <><

what i run: biggest plate style i can fit with built in -6 fittings. steel braided to the trans and not through the radiator. want to know if it works? run a temp gauge

Yes, the largest stacked plate cooler that will fit with the largest BTU rating. Brand is really of no consequence.

what i run: biggest plate style i can fit with built in -6 fittings. steel braided to the trans and not through the radiator. want to know if it works? run a temp gauge
Thanks - that was my plan. I have the B&M aluminum deep pan that has the port for a temp sending unit. What brand cooler are you using?

Do you think it's worth a try to get an eBay cooler? $50 - $60 for a 25 - 30 row stacked plate one. The Summit Racing branded one looks "identical" and is about $110. I imagine they're "all" made overseas.....

Do you think it's worth a try to get an eBay cooler? $50 - $60 for a 25 - 30 row stacked plate one. The Summit Racing branded one looks "identical" and is about $110. I imagine they're "all" made overseas.....

I'd run the EBay one in a minute.

Yes, the largest stacked plate cooler that will fit with the largest BTU rating. Brand is really of no consequence.
i agree, by biggest i was talking BTU'S. the last couple have been DERALE's but use what ever you like. i do make sure that they already have the proper fittings built in. just be careful how it's going to fit.
edit: some coolers also have a GVW rating. again bigger is better :)

DSC00569.JPG
4.JPG

one thing to think about, do you really want to use the cheesy ziptie through your nice radiator method, or plan on fabing some mounts to hold it properly

I
I'd run the EBay one in a minute.
Thank you. I've read many of your posts/replies and that's just the "confirmation" I was looking for. Based on price (and my budget) the eBay one was looking pretty good - I guess I was just looking for input from people that tried them and had bad results. Thanks again. <><

one thing to think about, do you really want to use the cheesy ziptie through your nice radiator method, or plan on fabing some mounts to hold it properly
Fabbing up a "cool" looking aluminum bracket. I have an aluminum radiator and fear vibration and ruptured tubes.....

I

Thank you. I've read many of your posts/replies and that's just the "confirmation" I was looking for. Based on price (and my budget) the eBay one was looking pretty good - I guess I was just looking for input from people that tried them and had bad results. Thanks again. <><

Chances are, whoever makes those makes B&M, or Derele or all the rest.

describe your converter.
Don't have one.....yet. I may be doing it "backwards" but the engine & trans will be built last. While I'm saving for the $$ stuff, I do little (less expensive) projects to keep the fire burning. Recently completed my Moser fab 8.75 w/ Trutrac & 4.10 gears - ladder bars & coilovers. My Gerst tubular k frame came in 2 weeks ago and have to order the remaining parts in stages.... The target is a 10.90......

derale implies they make theirs here.
that one's a Hayden 689 i had on the shelf. probably built in the same factory
I think the B&M has 1/2" npt female threads. Have you been running it for a while with no issues?

that's the one on my valiant, 68' Valiant 4 door
haven't run it yet. soon as i get the wiring done and the interior back in, (next couple weeks i hope), i'll let you know

that's the one on my valiant, 68' Valiant 4 door
haven't run it yet. soon as i get the wiring done and the interior back in, (next couple weeks i hope), i'll let you know
That one is around $70 and the same design/size as what I've been looking at so any feedback would be appreciated.......my build will take a little more than 2 more weeks......more like 2 more years. I was thinking/hoping that by 50 I could drive it.....that was 4 years ago.

...my build will take a little more than 2 more weeks......more like 2 more years. I was thinking/hoping that by 50 I could drive it.....that was 4 years ago.
ha, that's why i'm not letting myself get distracted by other things i probably should be doing
I plan on running this one from Derale....
i think that's the one in my dart. works very well

Another option that I have used with great success is a JY piece from a dakota/durango with tow package or a bit more compact one from the ford exploder/expedition. Get the ones with threaded fittings If you want to go AN-6 or some have barbed ends for hose.

A high quality converter like the dynamic 9 1/2 will have almost no slip
driving normally, but will flash to whatever specs it is built to.A converter
like this will make much less heat and you can neatly hide a little 5" x 11"
plate cooler most anywhere that will be more than adequate.
Discuss it with Dynamic or whoever builds your converter.

-
Back