Trans cooler recommendations........

-
has anyone had success running a cooler under the passenger floor area? didn't really want to run it in front of the radiator if I don't have too.
might need that area for an intercooler down the road. would a fan on it be mandatory?

I installed a B&M Supercooler this year and am delighted with it. With 3000 stall and a crummy tube & fin piece 190* - 200* was the norm with almost zero recovery when moving. With the B&M unit, I run 150* - 160* in city traffic on hot days with a heavy foot. Once I get moving, it sheds heat like crazy and I have even seen the needle drop when idleing at a light.

I've read on FABO that you can't have too big a tranny cooler. I am inclined to agree.

1/2" Female NPT, -6AN fittings and hoses, through the rad first.

20190326_155043.jpg

Like the previous post . B&M Supercooler with adapters to -6AN braided line . Bypass the cooler in the radiator . the cooler was $68 and the lines were a little more . I also put heat shield where the lines come near the exhaust just to make sure . The -6AN gives a little more volume than stock . Helps tons if you have a high stall converter and/or a tranny brake . Good luck

that's the one on my valiant, 68' Valiant 4 door
haven't run it yet. soon as i get the wiring done and the interior back in, (next couple weeks i hope), i'll let you know
That would be great. I found it for around $70 and like it because it has 6AN fittings. Most of the others have 10AN and would have to get different fittings. Thanks for the pics and help. <><

I installed a B&M Supercooler this year and am delighted with it. With 3000 stall and a crummy tube & fin piece 190* - 200* was the norm with almost zero recovery when moving. With the B&M unit, I run 150* - 160* in city traffic on hot days with a heavy foot. Once I get moving, it sheds heat like crazy and I have even seen the needle drop when idleing at a light.

I've read on FABO that you can't have too big a tranny cooler. I am inclined to agree.

1/2" Female NPT, -6AN fittings and hoses, through the rad first.

View attachment 1715369456
Thanks - nice install!

Like the previous post . B&M Supercooler with adapters to -6AN braided line . Bypass the cooler in the radiator . the cooler was $68 and the lines were a little more . I also put heat shield where the lines come near the exhaust just to make sure . The -6AN gives a little more volume than stock . Helps tons if you have a high stall converter and/or a tranny brake . Good luck
Thank you. Yah, I want to run 6AN braided.

i've been told 190 degrees give or take is most efficient and ideal for your trans. That's why it is always recommended to plumb it through your rad too.
Like engine oil, 160 is too cool.
But i'm not a transmission scientist.

You are correct sir. However , the trans cooler in the rad doesn't have the same volume capacity and can actually impede flow . If you have a high stall converter rest assured there is enough heat . If you have a tranny brake , the temp goes up 10d.,F. every second the brake is applied . Remember , the factory equipment was "just good enough for everyday use ".

Tru-Cool M7B. Same as a B&M supercooler, but cheaper.
Thanks. I looked it up and you're right - same size/features as the B&M. Still like the Hayden - a bit larger core and has the 6AN fittings installed. Thank you for the info.

I agree a dedicated track car will certainly benefit.I ran a 9 1/2 Dynamic 3200 stall in a warm 340.
Using just a 5" x 11" plate cooler i could not get the trans. over 160 degrees ...too cool.

i've been told 190 degrees give or take is most efficient and ideal for your trans. That's why it is always recommended to plumb it through your rad too.
Like engine oil, 160 is too cool. But i'm not a transmission scientist.
i've heard more or less the same thing too, and like any oil that gets hot / cold / hot, you want to boil out the moisture, but here in so cal, i've yet to see someone have a trans die because it never got hot enough.
people buying a cooler need to consider where they are too

Last edited:
has anyone had success running a cooler under the passenger floor area? didn't really want to run it in front of the radiator if I don't have too.
might need that area for an intercooler down the road. would a fan on it be mandatory?
Guy was just telling me about his a/c condensor. Its under the car with a pair of electric fans. Works great.

The Hayden 689 has a smaller core than the M7B Tru-Cool/B&M. And it's half as thick. Look at the specs. The H7b tru-cool is even bigger than the m7b and only about $70. 1/2 NPT to -6an fittings are cheap.
Hmmmm.....I like that one even better. I was thinking of going 6AN because it was closer to the original (or slightly larger) line size - would the 1/2" inlet be too much of a difference in size? Would going to an 8AN line be better? I have no idea of the flow/volume/pressure of the trans lines....

Hmmmm.....I like that one even better. I was thinking of going 6AN because it was closer to the original (or slightly larger) line size - would the 1/2" inlet be too much of a difference in size? Would going to an 8AN line be better? I have no idea of the flow/volume/pressure of the trans lines....

If you want to run -6 lines, all you need is the appropriate adapter fitting(s).

Universal Fittings - AN to NPT Fitting - 1/2 in. NPT Fitting Size 1 (application) -6 AN Fitting Size 2 (application) - Straight Fitting Angle - adapter-fittings

I would day -8 line would be way overkill.

Haven’t tried it, but seems like it would be hard to get airflow without it hanging down really low. Air flow is cooling efficiency. Seems like it would fill up with road muck even it it had airflow. Seems like you could fit a small one in the grille area somewhere out of the way.

-6 is still larger than the trans fittings
I thought it was. I was just concerned about using a cooler with 1/2" inlets. I mentioned previously that I am unaware of the pressure/volume/flow from the trans and didn't want to make matters worse using a cooler with "too big" inlets/outlets.

Tru-Cool M7B. Same as a B&M supercooler, but cheaper.

OMG,
168 x 138 x 30 Inches, That thing is so massive i'm going to have to haul it on a trailer behind my car, probably cool the whole damn neighborhood.

Ha....Found other info that said its 11" x11" x 1 1/2"....Thanks a lot MoPowers exactly what I was looking for.

tru cool.PNG

-
Back