trans for engine test?

-

ne57

Reaction score
If you're going to test run a motor on a stand and you'll be using an automatic in the car...exactly how do you set that up, for the stand? Would you need the whole trans bolted on or could you use just the flexplate and torque converter? Can a TC run on the stand without trans fluid? I'll be using a trans adapter between the 392hemi and the 727 if that makes any difference re; the starter (bolt the starter to the adapter and have no trans, just the TC???). I think I may have seen a pic of a gutted TF on an engine for a test.

Oh yeah, here it is...

so what are my options?
thanks much and sorry if this isn't in quite the right forum

Just mount the trans put in the fluild, install the yoke, put the trans in neutral and start the test.

CIMG3195.jpg

I'm using a bellhousing and flywheel for a manual trans. Lots easier to bolt up.

You can't use just the torque converter and flexplate cause the insides of the converter would flop around and throw things out of balance. Plus the starter engages into the ring gear on the converter and I doubt the flexplate would be strong enough to hold the converter steady while starting it.

-
Back