trans gurus

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
hey you trans guys out there , I just changed the speedometer drive gear seal , about a full qt of fluid drained out , (maybe a hair more) . Do I need to replace that amount , or was my trans over full ? I suspect it just to be trapped fliud back there .
I have an after market trans dipstick and a loose 3500 convertor , have never been sure of the fluid level in it .
Anyone know where the fluid level should be on a sitting still 727 torqueflite / I realize the convertor drainback will affect the level some ---------------thanks , bob

Sounds about right, same thing happened to me when changing the speedo cable! 65'

Now that you've DONE it you should have jacked up the left rear quarter and it would have helped retain some of that

Convertor drainback shouldn't affect your level reading, since it should be checked while running...

Convertor drainback shouldn't affect your level reading, since it should be checked while running...

..........and when in NEUTRAL, not park..............

And incidently, if you DO have a drainback problem, especially on a "rig" that sits a lot, start and idle in in neutral, not park on warmup

hey you trans guys out there , I just changed the speedometer drive gear seal , about a full qt of fluid drained out , (maybe a hair more) . Do I need to replace that amount , or was my trans over full ? I suspect it just to be trapped fliud back there .
I have an after market trans dipstick and a loose 3500 convertor , have never been sure of the fluid level in it .
Anyone know where the fluid level should be on a sitting still 727 torqueflite / I realize the convertor drainback will affect the level some ---------------thanks , bob

If you have an aftermarket dipstick, check this.

Take the pan off. Mark the stick with a grinder an 1/8 inch below the gasket surface. The oil should not be higher than the pan. Trust me, I bought a braided steel dipstick and learned the hard way blowing fluid out the overflow vent.

If you have an aftermarket dipstick, check this.

Take the pan off. Mark the stick with a grinder an 1/8 inch below the gasket surface. The oil should not be higher than the pan. Trust me, I bought a braided steel dipstick and learned the hard way blowing fluid out the overflow vent.

That`s what I wanted , suspect I `ve had it over full all along !

I had a fancy braided stainless trans dipstick also. That thing was JUNK. The dipstick marks were way off. And it started leaking through the hose after a year or two. I put a factory style dipstick and tube in.

I had a fancy braided stainless trans dipstick also. That thing was JUNK. The dipstick marks were way off. And it started leaking through the hose after a year or two. I put a factory style dipstick and tube in.

I tried , but dont have the room for a factory dipstick tube , hence the braided one .

-
Back