Trans mate-up

-

rix66

Reaction score
Hi fellow /6 owners! I finally need to rebuild or replace the slant in my '64 Dart GT. I have a couple of newer (70 $ 71) slants lying around. I would like to know if the crank hub size (1.92" [stock 64]) will mate up to the trans. I assume, a 904 automatic. When in doubt, ask the experts - you guys. Thanks !

You will need a spacer ring for the early torque converter to mate up to the 68-later crank hub.

Should be easy to make. "They" used to make these, not sure who if any anymore, maybe mancini, etc

I believe that the hub diameter changed in 66, 67 for sure. You have to match them or get an adapter...

On the Slant-6 the first year for the large torque converter nose and crankshaft counterbore was 1968, not 1966 or '67. You can use a '68-up Slant-6 engine in front of a '67-down automatic transmission without dooming the trans front pump bushing and seal, by means of the spacer ring previously mentioned. You can buy it from Pat "Torqueflite Patty" Blais.

Thanks to all of you guys for the info. That adaptor ring will shortly be ordered. It's really great to know there are so many MOPAR people out there that have tried almost everything to keep those Mopes running and performing great. I may study the feasibility of dropping a Gen 3 Hemi into the 64 dart, but that will be sometime in the future. Right now the slant 6 still runs fine, although it looks like a mosquito abatement device going down the street. Thanks again

-
Back