Trans shifts too quickly.

-
H

hustlinA

The 904 in my car shifts way too soon for me. Is this the only adjustment point to cure this?

Attachments

• linkage 002.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 308
I have moved it in both directions and still not right. Very frustrating.

I have moved it in both directions and still not right. Very frustrating.

remove the rod entiry... in the trans there are two levers... one was connected to the rod and the other is for the shifter...

tie the one back almost all the way for the rod...

see if it shifts better

not sure I understand what your talking about. Would that not affect kickdown?

i dont have a pick but there are two levers on the drivers side of the trans...

one is for the throttle shaft rod (in the pic with the arrow) and the other is from the shifter (lower lever)...

remove the rod to the upper and tie the lever all the way to the rear... drive it and see if it shifts better

just thought of this to... it would be easier to just undo the rod at the adjuster in the pic and tie it back there...

was wondering if I just could put a spring on it under the car and try without unhooking.

Is there room on the kickdown bracket at the tranny to drill another hole forward of the existing one ?? You may be able to allow yourself a little more wiggle room at the Top adjuster !! Just a thought !! I've had to do something similar with a console shifter in my last Dart !! If nothing else,just put a manual shift valve body in and enjoy playing !!

Is there room on the kickdown bracket at the tranny to drill another hole forward of the existing one ?? You may be able to allow yourself a little more wiggle room at the Top adjuster !! Just a thought !! I've had to do something similar with a console shifter in my last Dart !! If nothing else,just put a manual shift valve body in and enjoy playing !!

well see im trying to get him to try it with the rod all the way back so it will make it shift like its in wot... if it still shifts early he needs to do some tranny work as the throttle valve isn't working properly

The kickdown on my car was very touchy. I was doing the adjustment down at the tranny by moving the linkage forward or backwards. Just a 1/4 inch this way or that way would change the shift point by 10mph. I believe I ended up having to adjust the kickdown all the way forward (towards the front of the car) to get it to shift correctly.

Taking some weight off of the governor valve will do it too.
Valve is lighter so it takes more driveline RPM's to make it shift and won't affect your kickdown since that is a springed valve inside the Valvebody.

Not trying to jack this thread but as I set up the stroker to install I am putting together another kickdown mechanism so the rod coming up from the tranny to the KD bellcrank will be the same. Need to also make another setup cause of the difference between carb spacer/manifold heights.

What I would like to do is get the 904 working like the 67 318 Coronet we had when I was a kid - I could floor the car as it started out and when the engine was good and wound up I could let up on the gas and then floor it again and it would hard shift into 2nd with a chirp.

So how does the kickdown get adjusted properly? Has this been beat to death on another thread(s) already? Will be a big difference between a 2bbl 318 and a stroker and may not be such a good idea.

The hotrod now with the worn out 340 when I drag it in Drive does not shift at the right point (too low 1-2) with the throttle wide open. Have to manual shift to get the thing to wind out.

The 904 in my car shifts way too soon for me. Is this the only adjustment point to cure this?
Looks like it's a modified setup to start with so it probably needs to be re-engineered a bit to get it working properly. To get it to shift later, you need a longer rod, more movement of the rod, or a shorter pivot point on the bottom lever. Your upper bell crank angle doesn't look quite right to me. Open your throttle all the way and see if the rod pushes the bottom lever on the trans all the way back. If not, you'll have to modify the linkage setup until it does. If the lever does go all the way back, you have an internal valve body problem. The throttle pressure linkage effects upshifts as well as downshifts.

I just ordered a Lokar Kickdown. I have fought this all day .

Just wondering, do I need this too? only ordered the cable
LOK-SRK-4000.jpg

This is what I ordered, is this all I need?
lok-kd-2904ht_w.jpg

I would get it unless you want to make or modify more brackets.

can't believe it, I actually have that. Can't remember where it came from .

-
Back