Trans Slipping

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
Well this isn't Mopar related but I don't know any other non Mopar forums to post this. LOL!

I just got rid of my 2000 Kia Spectra with 92,000 miles that had a blown trans (the overdrive went). So I call my buddy at the Ford Dealership where I used to work to see what he had there. I told him I need a car quick because the trans in the Kia went. He says come on down and take a look. He shows me a few cars and then we settle on a 94 Thunderbird with 57,000 for $2000. This things look brand new and even drives like new.

So he gives me $400 for my car (which I am lucky I got that with the blown trans). I get the Thunderbird for $1880 with my trade in and after taxes and all the other BS paper work.

Before I bought I it took it for a drive and it was fine no problems. They had to get a mechanic to check it out before they could sell it to me and he said the car is fine other than needing a brake job soon. So I'm happy I got a clean ride with 57K for $1,800.

I picked up the car last week and was off for a few days and only drove the car locally. Well yesterday I went back to work and while driving on the highway the trans slipped in and out of overdrive twice. Then on the way home it happened again.

I can't bring the car back since it was sold "AS IS" plus it a clean car with 57K on it and is really a clean ride. No the OD hasn't flipped. I kinda mad because I just got rid of one car with a trnas problem to get another with a trans problem. Anyone have any idea of what I could do to fix it? I don't have a problem getting a junk yard trans and swapping it in but that would be my last resort.

I couple years ago I had a 96 or 98 Cougar that the trans would slip in and out of OD too. Had the trans replaced twice and then come to find out it was a moldule or sensor in or on the trans (I don't remember exaclty). I don't know if the mechanic who looked at the car from the dealership took it out for a drive or not. My feeling he probably didn't. Since I used to work there and know most of the guys.

Anyone have any ideas?

You didn't mention which engine it has. Or if any fault codes were pulled out of it. If the fluid is clean (not burned up) and the filter is fresh (not plugged up), I'd take a closer look at the MLP sensor (Manual Lever Posistion Sensor). This is a pretty common failure point on these vehicles.

I'm not of course saying to just go out and replace it without the proper diagnosis. But hopefully this will steer you in the right direction!

If you do end up replacing it, I'd suggest getting one from the dealer, not the aftermarket.

Yea so did I. When I called the Kia Dealer and asked they said that it started in 2001. Mine was a 2000! Figures UH!?!?!?

Duster346 said:
You didn't mention which engine it has. Or if any fault codes were pulled out of it. If the fluid is clean (not burned up) and the filter is fresh (not plugged up), I'd take a closer look at the MLP sensor (Manual Lever Posistion Sensor). This is a pretty common failure point on these vehicles.

I'm not of course saying to just go out and replace it without the proper diagnosis. But hopefully this will steer you in the right direction!

If you do end up replacing it, I'd suggest getting one from the dealer, not the aftermarket.

It's a 6 cyc. don't what size. I didn't check for any codes. I don't have a code reader but I think I will be picking one up. I'll check the fluid and MPL sensor and see what happens from there.

Thanks!!!!

-
Back