trans swaps..

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
Here in lay my question,
If i take out my1966 225 slant six.. with 3spd(whats the code for this trans??)and put in my 1972 360 with auto trans(code for this too??) do i need to use the trans that comes with the motor? or can i use my 3spd? where can i get a 4spd? is a torqueflite just any regular autotrans??

Thanks and sorry if its a repetitive question.. id just like to ask now and know for my self instead of reading millions of threads and getting 15 different answers.

Cerwin

code? what do you mean? a 6 cylinder trans is different than a small block and different than a big block. chrysler had 3 sizes. a torqueflite is an automatic transmission be it 727, 904(sb and /6), 518.... get a 4 speed from brewers performance or passon performance.

I think he means like four speeds are A833 and wants to know what a three speed is. 3 spds are A-230. The 3 speed can be used with your 360, but you will need a small block bellhousing.

Sorry I don't know what your 3 spd. is called. Never had any dealings with 3 speeds. The 4 speeds are called a A-833. All autos since somewhere around 1960 are called Torqueflites. There are 2 versions. The little one (the 904) and the bigger one (the 727). The one behind your 360 is most likely a 727 since that's what came behind about 95% of 360's but there's no guarantee. It could be a 904. You would have to identify it by the shape of the pan. If the pans basically square it's the 904. If it's square with a "kickout" on the passenger side it's the 727. 4 speeds can be found in the for sale section on this board, on e-bay, on other boards, in junkyards, at swapmeats, etc. Just remember if you do switch to a 4 speed you'll need a 360 specific flywheel. Their balanced different than all other small blocks and their pretty rare.

thanks guys.

Greenduster knew what i meant and answered in remarkable time..
then again fishy brought me down with the brutal truth of how it all works.. flywheels and balancing..
thanks for the links Red

if this 360 and 727 come out of a pickup.. will it all fit into my 66 valiant?

can i cut some holes and make a floor shifter for it.. seeing how making it a coloumn shift is giong to be hard.. and is it hard to find a SB bell housing for a230??

Cerwin, if the 360 is out of a pickup, you'll probably have to repalce the oil pan to het it to fit in the Valiant. You car requires a center sump oil pan and I don't believe the trucks don't have those. The 727 will fit with minor modifications. Most people report they had to hammer the firewall/floor seam flat to get clearance for the 727. On my 66 Valiant the 727 just slid in place of the old 904 with no mods necessary. For what it'll cost you to get the required parts to keep the 3 speed, you might be better off running the 727. Just put in an aftermarket floor shifter like a B&M or Hurst and be done with it.

OldVart said:
Cerwin, if the 360 is out of a pickup, you'll probably have to repalce the oil pan to het it to fit in the Valiant. You car requires a center sump oil pan and I don't believe the trucks don't have those. The 727 will fit with minor modifications. Most people report they had to hammer the firewall/floor seam flat to get clearance for the 727. On my 66 Valiant the 727 just slid in place of the old 904 with no mods necessary. For what it'll cost you to get the required parts to keep the 3 speed, you might be better off running the 727. Just put in an aftermarket floor shifter like a B&M or Hurst and be done with it.

Thank you for seeing the thread.. i was dependant on your responce, as im sure your well aware.. your playing a big part of this build.. :thumblef:

thanks and since i work for you know who.. i get that kinda stuff at cost..
super.. now im all sex-cited again...

You have a project on your hands - and a good one when you are finished.
If you are going with the 360 in the 66 you will need a drop centre link - as the one in the 66 is straight and will interfer with the oil pan. I have one you can have relatively cheap(cw/idler arm and tie-rods) - and if interested I will be at Mission raceway July 29/30 - or you can have earlier by Greyhound. email:[email protected] :salut:

388dart said:
You have a project on your hands - and a good one when you are finished.
If you are going with the 360 in the 66 you will need a drop centre link - as the one in the 66 is straight and will interfer with the oil pan. I have one you can have relatively cheap(cw/idler arm and tie-rods) - and if interested I will be at Mission raceway July 29/30 - or you can have earlier by Greyhound. email:[email protected] :salut:

Ill Keep you in mind if i dont go with new.
Thanks
Cerwin

If you go 4 speed which is what I would have liked to do but the auto was just so much easier for me at the time, I can hook u up with the flywheel for an external balanced 360, I have one brand spankin new along with pressure plate throwout bearing and clutch disk all new parts, hell I have a overdrive 4 for that matter if you lack the trans. Only thing I lack is the tailshaft housing for your specific car, and I am unsure at the moment if the one I have would work for you or not. I had all these parts for a 73 Road Runner I used to have, but gave up on that project to do up the dart.

-
Back