Transmission id

-

Allencf

Reaction score
I recently got a 64 Dodge D100 to restore.. it was originally a poly 318 truck with 3ontree..motor was sold separately to someone else.. have the original transmission (A 745) I believe..? There was an automatic transmission inside the cab that has 4522 markings and looks to be aluminum with a short tail shaft..I haven’t been able to get back up with the original owner but from the hole cut in floorboard tunnel, it appears he was planning to switch it out? Has the 8-3Q rear… can anyone help I’d this auto transmission, 727,904? Thanks in advance and what would you put back in it if you were restoring?

IMG_6131.jpeg

IMG_6130.jpeg

IMG_6132.jpeg

IMG_5748.jpeg

Look on the pan rail and take a pic and post it here. There will be someone who can tell you what it fits. Trans mount looks like the orig type in the 61-71 trucks.

.I haven’t been able to get back up with the original owner but from the hole cut in floorboard tunnel, it appears he was planning to switch it out? Has the 8-3Q rear…
Did he cut a hole, or is there just no tunnel top? Those tunnels have a removeable top with different lids to suit the transmission that was installed. Pic would be nice.
Manual transmissions used bellhousing mounts and a crossmember under the bell (riveted to the frame) that will need to be drilled/cut out, and a new rear crossmember sourced or built to fit the automatic trans.
Do you have a frame for it? If not, consider sourcing a '72 and up frame- normally these need to be modified in order to get the box to line up, but since you have a stepside (Utiline in Mopar-speak) that's a non-issue. This is a fairly common swap in truck circles. Those with Sweptline boxes usually graft the late model front to the later model rear and splice the frame under the cab, and then all the body lines line up. They are that close! All it takes is relocating the rear cab mounts on the frame and tweaking the front ones a bit.
This way, instead of a solid front axle with two leaf springs, no "true" power steering, huge drum brakes, etc.; you get independent coil spring front suspension, common power steering, disc brakes, much more common engine and transmission mounting provisions, and a frame-mounted fuel tank (the original Sweptlines had the tank inside the cab behind the seat).
Thanks in advance and what would you put back in it if you were restoring?
Since you're looking at a bunch of fab work no matter which way you go, I seriously would consider throwing a late model 5.7 drivetrain in it, if not a complete late-model frame and drivetrain swap from a rollover or rotted out late model Ram. A bit more work than the earlier ('72 and up) frame, but still very do-able.

[QUOTE="Allencf, post: can anyone help I’d this auto transmission, 727,904?
[/QUOTE]

That’s a 904

Did he cut a hole, or is there just no tunnel top? Those tunnels have a removeable top with different lids to suit the transmission that was installed. Pic would be nice.
Manual transmissions used bellhousing mounts and a crossmember under the bell (riveted to the frame) that will need to be drilled/cut out, and a new rear crossmember sourced or built to fit the automatic trans.
Do you have a frame for it? If not, consider sourcing a '72 and up frame- normally these need to be modified in order to get the box to line up, but since you have a stepside (Utiline in Mopar-speak) that's a non-issue. This is a fairly common swap in truck circles. Those with Sweptline boxes usually graft the late model front to the later model rear and splice the frame under the cab, and then all the body lines line up. They are that close! All it takes is relocating the rear cab mounts on the frame and tweaking the front ones a bit.
This way, instead of a solid front axle with two leaf springs, no "true" power steering, huge drum brakes, etc.; you get independent coil spring front suspension, common power steering, disc brakes, much more common engine and transmission mounting provisions, and a frame-mounted fuel tank (the original Sweptlines had the tank inside the cab behind the seat).

Since you're looking at a bunch of fab work no matter which way you go, I seriously would consider throwing a late model 5.7 drivetrain in it, if not a complete late-model frame and drivetrain swap from a rollover or rotted out late model Ram. A bit more work than the earlier ('72 and up) frame, but still very do-able.
Yes he did cut a square hole, but also could have been wanting to move 3 spd to the floor? And I do have the frame and just finished prep and painted.. new fuel tank relocated to under bed..I found some videos on restacking the leaf springs in the front to lower about 4”.. relocate 8 3/4 on top of rear springs to lower the rear..body work coming soon I hope..have both a 318 and or 340 that I can put in it..the 318 is out of an 87 model 3/4 dodge with original 4 b intake, it has original heads and exhaust manifolds..
My 340 block has been punched out .030 and have some j heads…
Anyway just looking at all options and hoping to get out as reasonable as possible but have a dependable ride.. just finished a 7 year build in a 72 duster 340-4 spd car so wife says this truck has to be built on a budget… and I agree..lol
Thanks for the info..

IMG_5740.jpeg

1715003917359.png

Yes, as I said, if you want to run an automatic or a later model manual trans., the original manual bellhousing crossmember will have to come out. It interferes with linkages and exhaust and a few other things, and serves no practical purpose outside of the original application.
You will need to source or fabricate a proper automatic crossmember in the proper rearward loction to replace it
and maintain frame rigidity.
For reference purposes:
1715004535558.png

61-68 Automatic Transmission crossmember « 1961-1971 Dodge Sweptline Parts

Also, the Sweptline.org site is a wealth of information on these older trucks.

-
Back