transmission leaking fluid

-

GotDart

Reaction score
My Dart has always had a bad trans fluid leak. It leaves a large puddle, 1 or 2 quarts worth, whenever it's parked for a few days. I suppose it leaks down to a certain level, and then stops. I originally thought it was leaking at the pan, so I did a fluid/filter change. That didn't help. What are other common leak points I should check?

I would check the seal where the shift linkage exits the case. Also don't overlook the dipstick "O" ring. If your not sure, blast the bottom of the pan with some brake clean or carb. cleaner and get it as clean as possible and deliberately park the car in a place where you can get under it easily with a light. If it's the dipstick tube "O" ring it's a relatively simple fix. If it's the seal for the shift lever, that's a bit more involved. Check the service manual and see what's involved. The valve body may have to be dropped out. Maybe someone else here could help out with this.

If it's a 727 check the shift shaft seal. If the trans only leaks when it's SITTING that's probably it (a quart or so) since that 'level' will be exceeded when the system drains back.

My 727 leaked there, I replaced the seal, no more leaky.

You CAN do it in the car. I went through the floor to drive the new seal into place with the appropriate socket.

Napa has the seals.

hth,
Jim

69Dart440 said:
You CAN do it in the car. I went through the floor to drive the new seal into place with the appropriate socket.

Napa has the seals.

hth,
Jim

I knew that the shift shaft is a problem area, but I didn't know it could be serviced in the car. I learned something new too.

:thumleft: Thanks Jim.

Sorry, I should have mentioned it is a 904. Not sure that it ONLY leaks while parked, but it does leak when the engine is not running. It's been raining here all weekend, so I haven't been out to take a look yet.

Sure its not farther back? Check the rear seal where yoke slips into tranny. Mine is leaking there. Not that bad though

Sure its not farther back? Check the rear seal where yoke slips into tranny.

Nope, the tailshaft and yoke area are dry. When I've been under there, the whole pan is wet. That's why I replaced the filter and pan gasket, which didn't seem to help.

I had this problem with my 727 years back. It only leaked after it had sat for a day or two. The rail around the pan was wet, I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I'd wipe it down and the next day it'd be all wet again.

Turned out to be the seal around the neutral safety switch was no good. I replaced the seal (an o-ring, if I remember) and the switch, it hasn't leaked since.

-
Back