Tricks? automatic trans..........transfer case shifting.......

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Ok so I HAD a 4 speed 4x4 I KNOW how to handle the transfer case. 340, A833 adapted to Jeep straight through, all in a beater old FJ-40 Landcruiser......that was a long time ago

NOW I am "looking forward" to getting TWO dakota projects running.........

Both 5.2, automatic, "part time" (that is conventional) transfer cases, hi-lo range

Who has tricks on shifting these "on the roll?" I KNOW that an automatic tries to transfer some energy when in neutral, I KNOW how to shift the thing from 2wd to 4wd high range "on a roll".

So the question gets down to "into low range." Do you simply have to stop? Turn the engine off in neutral? How do you deal with "those times" when you need into/ out of low range?

............Because with the engine idling in neutral, as soon as you get to neutral in the transfer, NOW the transmission wants to turn..........

If you are in park, and there is the LEAST amount of "bind up" the thing won't come OUT of 4wd low............

The owners manual for my wife's 98 Wrangler tells you to put it in neutral and be barely rolling to get it in low range.

Yep, you have to let the gears slow so they can engage but still be turning a little to mesh.
You might also find out that you have a bit of a bindup when trying to get it out of 4x4 and backing up a little helps that a lot.

-
Back