Trim molding removal help needed

-

fdharper

Reaction score
I need to remove trim (see pic) without damaging it for badly needed body work on my restoration but not sure how its attached or how to remove it. The trim is behind the back seat window and the rear glass on my 64 Valiant 2 door 200. Any and all info is appreciated.
Floyd in Northeast Florida

20240721_091403.jpg

I may be remembering wrong, but I think you will need to peel the bottom of the headliner up on the inside and look for some nuts screwed onto pegs that are molded into that trim piece. Be very careful with them while removing them. Maybe use a few drops of oil on them to help them come off without breaking the pegs off the trim. If you just see some pegs protruding thru with no nuts on them. those are called barrel nuts. If that is the case, use a gasket scraper to slip behind those trim pieces on either side of the barrel nuts, prying outwards a little at a time and moving from one barrel nut to the other so the trim piece comes loose evenly. You don't want one end to be way away from the body and the other end still against it. That's what will break those 60 year old pieces real quick. Hope this helps. :)

-
Back