trim removal? help please.

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
gonna start doing some body work on my 73 valiant 4door. how do i get the trim molding off the front quarter and doors. do i need to remove the door panels to access fron inside and if i remove the vinal top how would the car look with all the chrome that goes around it installed and painting the top. first time at this looks like a bit of a challenge

The side moulding is glued on, no rivits or screws it just peals off. I like the way an A body looks with a painted top insted of a vinyl top

I just took mine off yesterday and they were'nt glued on, they were snapped on over clips. the ends have little threaded clips with 3/8 acorn style nuts. the nuts that hold the rear trim on should be visible in the trunk near the tail light. the front nut of the rear trim piece is accessed through a hole behind trim panel below rear window. door fasteners are located in door jam areas, and the front fender piece should be visible inside the fender viewed from the back with the door open. it is really hard to access but i found that the trim cam be removed with the nut on if you simply rotate the piece upwards or downwards. this is with a 67' 2 door car, so location on a 4 door will be different.
everything in between the ends are fastened with clips and just snap off with a strong putty knife.
hope i made sense.

thanks for the replys. as for doing away with the top should i paint it all one color or maybe 2 tone and should i put all the roof trim back on after pain. thanks for any oppinions hoping to get started soon and get painted in the next 6 mnths

72(I think) and up had glued on side moulding, but I could be wrong. I would two tone it.

72(I think) and up had glued on side moulding, but I could be wrong. I would two tone it.

just checked it out no sign of anything sticking into the trunk or the front quarters and pulled a litle and the trim will come loose. so thanks for that as for the molding around the top is that held on with clips or also glued on? i know the drip rails are clipped on. im thinking paint the car blue and do the top in black then put all the chrome back on.

oh and if i want to put the side moldings on do i use double sided tape or an epoxy. its kinda dull and the plastic coating is starting to peel may just pin stripe it or do without.

took some pics will get them on later any advice appreciated. never tried anything this big am feeling a little nervouse but confident. would like to keep it neat as i will be driving and working on it at the same time. now to do this with my 1 day home a week. prayers needed too

I stand corrected... wish mine was glued on!

as for the tape, not sure what they used from the factory, but we used 3M double sided tape in the glass business and it works very well for many applications... sticks like crazy. it also comes in various thicknesses. you may want to look into that.

I stand corrected... wish mine was glued on!

as for the tape, not sure what they used from the factory, but we used 3M double sided tape in the glass business and it works very well for many applications... sticks like crazy. it also comes in various thicknesses. you may want to look into that.

My 72 had both. One side was glued on, the other side went through the sheet metal... Made for a hell of a time filling in all those holes!

thanks for the replys. as for doing away with the top should i paint it all one color or maybe 2 tone and should i put all the roof trim back on after pain. thanks for any oppinions hoping to get started soon and get painted in the next 6 mnths

I'm thinking 2 tone mod top FOOSE style!:cheers:
See Link of ours, post #112 and on!:read2:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=77304&page=6

We have another vinyl top 4 door that is light tan. Were thinking burnt metallic orange & pearl white "Surf" style paint based on the one in this link above!8)

and this pic!

Good Luck and enjoy your paint. 4 doors cry out for fun paint jobs!:cheers:

roof.jpg

just checked it out no sign of anything sticking into the trunk or the front quarters and pulled a litle and the trim will come loose. so thanks for that as for the molding around the top is that held on with clips or also glued on? i know the drip rails are clipped on. im thinking paint the car blue and do the top in black then put all the chrome back on.

I vote for all one color and definitely agree with dumping the vinyl top.

any tips on getting the trim and glue off? so far its taking the paint with it in places and any tips on repairing some small rust holes in my quarters. will try the pics today thanks

-
Back